ESP32 unwanted sleep (new title...)

I have a TTGO-T2-SSD1331 esp32 Wroom.
When powered with my laptop (USB), the oled display and the ESP32 show and refresh analog read value every second and does that indefinitely.
When I power the esp with external 3.3 volt power supply, the display show and refresh the analog value every second but the esp32 go to sleep after exactly 30 sec. Then I have to manually wake the controller using the reset pin to make it work again.

What is going on? Is this a default setting? Is there a way to know what sleep mode this is and change it? I don’t use deep sleep mode or any sleep command in my code above!

#include <Adafruit_GFX.h>
#include <Adafruit_SSD1331.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#define sclk 14
#define mosi 13
#define cs   15
#define rst  4
#define dc   16
// Color definitions
#define BLACK           0x0000
#define BLUE            0x001F
#define RED             0xF800
#define GREEN           0x07E0
#define CYAN            0x07FF
#define MAGENTA         0xF81F
#define YELLOW          0xFFE0  
#define WHITE           0xFFFF

Adafruit_SSD1331 display = Adafruit_SSD1331(cs, dc, mosi, sclk, rst);

// Potentiometer is connected to GPIO 34 (Analog ADC1_CH6) 
const int potPin = 34;

// variable for storing the potentiometer value
int potValue = 0;
float VS = 0;

void setup() {
  display.begin();
  display.fillScreen(RED);
  delay(300);
  display.fillScreen(GREEN);
  delay(300);
  display.fillScreen(BLUE);
  delay(300);
  display.fillScreen(BLACK);
  delay(1000);

//display.fillRect(10, 40, 75, 20, RED);
  //display.drawRect(0,0,96,64,WHITE);
}

void loop() {
  // Reading potentiometer value
  potValue = analogRead(potPin);
  VS = potValue * 3.39 / 3850; 
  Screen();
  delay(1000);
}

void Screen() 
{
  display.setCursor(0,0);
  display.setTextSize(0);
  display.setTextColor(WHITE);
  display.fillRect(38, 8, 64, 96, BLACK);
  //display.fillScreen(BLACK);
  display.println("Status:");
  display.println("Pres:");
  display.println("Temp:");
  display.println("pH:");
  display.println("Cond:");
  display.println("DOcc:");
  display.println("DOsat:");
  display.println("Depth:");
  display.setCursor(45,0);
  display.println("Active");
  display.setCursor(38,8);
  display.println(potValue);
  display.setCursor(38,16);
  display.println(VS);
  display.setCursor(38,24);
  display.println("7.5");
  display.setCursor(38,32);
  display.println("213 uS");
  display.setCursor(38,40);
  display.println("11.42 mgL");
  display.setCursor(38,48);
  display.println("98.52 %");
  display.setCursor(38,56);
  display.println("22.42 m");
 }

So the external power is defective in some way, is the 3.3V supply a switching power supply?

Hi,

The power supply is a DPS-1012M regulated DC and I consider it quite reliable. I don't know if it is switching. I will google on this topic.
Edit: It is a Zurich variable output voltage model DPS-1012M and it is not specified how regulation is achieve.

In any case, I incorporate this function :

esp_sleep_enable_ext1_wakeup(BUTTON_PIN_BITMASK,ESP_EXT1_WAKEUP_ANY_HIGH);

and attach it to pin 33 of my device. I then connect a wire from the power supply to the pin.

The ESP32 do is thing for 30 sec. then go to sleep (don't know which mode) but then wake up because pin 33 state is high. It reboot, do the measurement for another 30 sec. and go back to sleep again. And loop this for an hour now.

I don't think the PSU is the problem but maybe? I am new with ESP32. Is this board very sensitive to voltage changes? I varied the voltage between 3 and 5 volts and the analog read remain very stable. The 3.3 Vout from the ESP regulator was also very stable.

I feel that the ESP have a default setting to go in sleep mode after 30 sec. Is this possible?

In the arduino IDE, we can also change the "core debbug fct". Can this be of any help?

thank you

AFAIK the ESP has no default sleep mode if powered from a different power source.
This sounds like the PSU is not detecting enough current draw on its output and going into standby mode. This happens for me with most of my 18650 battery power packs and probably is happening for your PSU.

I feel that the ESP have a default setting to go in sleep mode after 30 sec. Is this possible?

The ESP32 does not have 30 second default sleep mode.

cdb101:

If you programmed the ESP32 to go to sleep it is possible, otherwise no.

I am curious why you use this pin for SPI

#define mosi 13

The natural pins for VSPI on an ESP32 are
GPIO_NUM_23 - MOSI
GPIO_NUM_12 - MISO
GPIO_NUM_18 - SCK
GPIO_NUM_5 - CS

Thank you for the clarification.

To Idahowalker: the pin out is fix because there is a SD card and a SSD1331 embedded on this ESP32 board.

About my problem:
I initially connect the external power supply on the mini white jst connector (see picture - I have this exact board version V1.6). On this connector, the unwanted sleep occur every 30 sec. and the wake up alarm I set up reboot the esp32 every time it go to sleep.

I decide to bypass this connector and feed the board 5v pin directly. I read that I can put up to 12 volts there. For now I tried it up to 6-7 volts. When connected this way, the board do not go to sleep anymore.
My PSU is the same in both situation so it can't be the problem. This rewiring showed it is reliable.

When wired to the 5v pin, I have not problem. I can live with this but I think it is important to understand what happen with the jst connector. Has Riva suggest, is there a current sensing thing in there that decide to turn the device off because it don't measure enough activity (current)? Note that the OLED screen is power up and do consume current during the whole process.