ESP8266 as WiFi Module for Arduino Uno

I've bought ESP8266 and I have updated it's drivers. I want to use it as WiFi module for Arduino Uno to enable it to connect to the Internet via WiFi and get information from website (particularly openweathermap.org). I've searched the Internet and I always find tutorials about how to program ESP8266 and to use it alone but what I really want is ESP8266 acting as gateway for Uno to the Internet. I will appreciate any suggestions and useful links! :slight_smile:

You obviously didn't search very hard. There are many tutorials available for what you want to do.

Your important decision will be whether you want to leave the ESP8266-01's default AT firmware in place or replace that firmware with ESP8266 Core for Arduino.

ieee488:
Your important decision will be whether you want to leave the ESP8266-01's default AT firmware in place or replace that firmware with ESP8266 Core for Arduino.

Why is that important? Could you explain me?

AT+GMR

OK

I'm running this version of software.

@mihajlo2003 try WiFiEsp library

mihajlo2003:
Why is that important? Could you explain me?

Because the examples on the internet are either generally for the ESP8266 with the default AT firmware or the the ESP8266 Core for Arduino.

When you look at the sketch, you can tell.

For me, I stayed with the default AT firmware. But you won't go wrong either way.

@ieee488 Thanks for explanation! I haven't changed AT firmware. I'm using it.