ESP8266 Correct wiring and setup

Hi guys,

I apologize in advance for esp8266 topic again! But I didn’t find good wiring and program tips on one place. I have 2 or 3 burnt esp moduls because of wrong information on the internet.

So to start with ESP8266-01 wiring:

ESP - ARDUINO
RX - TX
TX - voltage divider - RX
VCC - 3.3V
GND - GND
GPIO2 - 3.3V
GPIO0 - 3.3V / GND ( working / flashing )
CH_PD - 3.3V
RESET - 3.3V

3.3V are from regulated 5V from Arduino[/li][/list]
+100nF capacitor between VCC and GND on ESP[/li][/list]

ESP8266-12
few more wires needs to be hooked up :

GPIO15
GPIO2

Boot Messages and Modes : https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/blob/master/doc/boards.md#espino

(Using baud rate 9600)
What am I doing wrong?
From time to time my ESP is going nuts, and stops working well. It connects on device but not working any further.
Tryed to flash my ESP devices, but flashers do not recognize them.

So pls help me…

Thanks all

Why are you connecting the GPIO pins at all?

Tryed to flash my ESP devices, but flashers do not recognize them.

Are you wearing the right kind of raincoat when you flash them?

Posting your code might prove interesting.

Read your link. You are supposed to use pullup or pulldown resistors, NOT a direct connection to 3.3V or ground.

The Arduino is a 5V device, so the voltage divider should be used from the Arduino TX to the ESP RX pin, NOT from the ESP TX to the Arduino RX.

/dev:
Read your link. You are supposed to use pullup or pulldown resistors, NOT a direct connection to 3.3V or ground.

Yes, you are right.
I didn’t connect them with pull ups/downs, I connected them direct with resistors.
Any other advice kind sir?

/dev:
The Arduino is a 5V device, so the voltage divider should be used from the Arduino TX to the ESP RX pin, NOT from the ESP TX to the Arduino RX.

My bad for RX TX. That’s ok, mistaken in typing post.
Thank you

PaulS:
Why are you connecting the GPIO pins at all?
Are you wearing the right kind of raincoat when you flash them?

Posting your code might prove interesting.

Can you post your working shematic of esp-arduino?

followed this steps for flashing.

Here's the way I did it for esp8266-01 using Pro Micro 5V with J1 pads separate (so arduino's VCC output was actually 4.5V instead of 5V and then "downgraded" additionally with 3.7V zener diode)

ESP - ARDUINO
RX - voltage divider TX
TX - RX
VCC - 3.7V zener diode - VCC
GND - GND
GPIO2 - --
GPIO0 - --
CH_PD - 3.7V zener diode - 3.3K resistor - VCC
RESET - -- (connect to GND to actually reset it, otherwise disconnected)

Only 1 zener diode was used, connected directly to VCC of arduino, then branching into 2 wires, 1 going to VCC of esp and 1 going to CH_PD through the 3.3K resistor.

Assuming that you're just have 3.3V VCC you could just forget the zener diode.

Btw the module gets quite hot (idk if that's normal) but keeps working so far

And about flashing... That's the wiring I used:
http://www.hobbyist.co.nz/?q=esp8266-firmware-update

Flasher: FLASH_DOWNLOAD_TOOLS_V3.4.4
Files with firmware: esp_iot_sdk_v1.5.0/bin/at/noboot (probably not the latest because there are 2.0+ but that's what I used with success)

eagle.flash.bin 0x00000
eagle.irom0text.bin 0x40000
blank.bin
Flash size 8Mbit: 0x7e000 & 0xfe000
esp_init_data_default.bin (optional)
Flash size 8Mbit: 0xfc000

Took me 3 days of messing with this thing to actually make it able to retrieve a webpage, I hope it will work for you too

Pull ups and downs don't really make sense for working ESP. This is only to change boot mode with buttons
So, if I wire up DIRECT with resistors, it's the same result.
Pins:
CH_PD/EN - HIGH;
GPIO15 -LOW;
GPIO0 -HIGH;

Thanks michalmonday for your setup. Any ideas for additional wiring esp 12?

for now I got only ESP 01 to work,

today i purchased my new ESP8266 12 and I hooked my wires like this:

ESP 12 - ARDUINO
RX TX (voltage divider)
TX RX
VCC 3.3V
GND GND
CH_PD/EN 3.3V (10k resistor)
GPIO0 3.3V (10k resistor)
GPIO15 GND (10k resistor)

3.3v are regulated from 5V from Arduino

Not working... ESP is alive and boots up, when I open serial monitor on any baud rate, it's blank.
Any ideas? Do I need to flash it first or is it optional for testing?
Here are some pictures, probably not helping but I don't know what to do.

Arduino blinked blue on start, but can't get connection with it.
All baud rate ports are blank...I'm getting nothing.. tryed all kinds of wiring but no luc. Anyone?

Kapusta:
Arduino blinked blue on start, but can't get connection with it.
All baud rate ports are blank...I'm getting nothing.. tryed all kinds of wiring but no luc. Anyone?

POWER, I need More Power Scotty!

The UNO is only rated to provide 50mA on the 3.3V output, the ESP8266-12's Modules Power consumption is Greater than Just ESP8266's chip itself I would recommend supplying it with at least 500mA.

Start there before your worry about connecting it.

I use a Pololu USB AVR programmer v2's Serial port to communicate a 3.3v with my ESP'12s.

Here are two circuits I use for successfully using ESP8266-12F's:

Circuit connecting UNO and '12 with Pololu ISP connection to '12 here.

Circuit for ESP8266-12 as Arduino using Pololu USB AVR V2 adapter Here

Chuck.

I'm not using 3.3v from Arduino, I'm using 5v from Arduino to step down module to 3.3v.
I tryed with additional power sorce from adapter with 0.7A, but no luck.

Thanks for your answer and circuits. I will try today again.

UPDATE:
I think my mistake was programming ESP8266 with Arduino hardware RX TX. I'm buying TTL-USB converters with CP2102 and CH340 chip. Hope that will do that. I'm 100% positive my wiring is good, but can't get right connection with ESP. (Can't flash or get feedback on serial monitor)
This was a huge headache.

Thanks all for help and good luck

Check out the USB adapters at Adafruit - they have I think 3 of them listed and have comments about which ones work with which platform best. Down near the bottom of THIS PAGE they talk a bit about which USB serial cable depending on the OS. Somewhere else on their site, they have more info, but I can't find it now. I use the FTDI SERIAL CABLE with my Huzzah that I am playing with and it seems to work very well.

Thanks on advice! I already ordered programmer with CH340 chip for serial communication, and other one with CP2102. I'll let you know when it arrives.