esp8266 esp-12 needs programming?

john1993: secondly even on devices that are not when you calculate or measure current on 1v or so overdrive and considering impedance of the output device there is still no danger.

Please explain further with math what you mean by this.

5v-3.3v=1.7v, -.7v(max over vcc)=1v. assuming 100ohm output drive that 10ma is not going to kill a chip. typical reading from real world measurements generally a lot less.

there may be some devices that would sustain damage due to latchup or avalanche but not any ive seen last 30 years. pmos gate or pic from 1970 maybe but i doubt it even then. just like most esp problems due to weak supply but rarely appreciated the actual bricking of avr usually due to bad fuse, not 5v output into 3.3v input or shorting pins.

note that this is just my own take and by no means universal advice. the internet is so full of baloney everybody should do their own research and are responsible for judging their own risks.

john1993: note that this is just my own take and by no means universal advice. the internet is so full of baloney everybody should do their own research and are responsible for judging their own risks.

That was not the impression I got with your other posts.

you just havent been around long enough. i find its a good idea to disavow responsibility like that at least once every 5-10yrs whether its necessary or not.