ESP8266 ESP-12E UART WIFI Wireless Shield Development Board

Hi to all

I have received earlier this week my WIFI board that contains an ESP8266 processor. I’m not able to communicate with this board. I can upload software to my main board (Mega 2560) but once I plug in this shield I’m not able to download nor communicate with the Mega 2560. Even by switching on the # 1 and 2 switch it does not help. Any help will be greatly appreciate as I have search in many different places but none of them gave results.
Thank you!

Gorbu:
I'm not able to download

I'm pretty sure you mean upload, not download. Using the correct terminology is very important.

Gorbu:
Even by switching on the # 1 and 2 switch it does not help.

The shield connects the ESP8266 to pins 0 and 1 on the Mega, which are also used for uploading sketches to the Mega. You need to turn the switch OFF before you upload, which will disconnect the ESP8266 from the Mega. Otherwise the connection to the ESP8266 will interfere with the upload. I have a couple of those shields and have had no problems at all using them.

Hi Pert!

pert:
I'm pretty sure you mean upload, not download. Using the correct terminology is very important.
The shield connects the ESP8266 to pins 0 and 1 on the Mega, which are also used for uploading sketches to the Mega. You need to turn the switch OFF before you upload, which will disconnect the ESP8266 from the Mega. Otherwise the connection to the ESP8266 will interfere with the upload. I have a couple of those shields and have had no problems at all using them.

You are right, when I was writting this tread I was tired. I meant Upload.

I have tried to set switches 1-2 to off, no luck. The IDE does not upload the software. Could you kindly guide me trough my steps. I was able to power the shield 'on' and detect a WiFI network but nothing beyond this point.
Thanks for your help.

Hi Gorbu,

What exactly do you want, upload the sketch to esp8266 board or to arduino mega board?

I think you want to upload to esp8266 boards. If so you should use a FTDI adapter (aka USB to TTL adapter) and remember to connect GIPO0 of esp8266 to the ground before uploading. There are many detail tutorials on the internet. Trying search and have fun.

Hi dw23q,

Thank you for your reply. My goal is to upload a sketch in the Mega 2560 board and communicate trough the WiFi with the ESP8266. My main concerns is how can we debug? Since I'm using UART 0 which is share with the USB Computer and ESP8266 I have no debug available nor monitoring. Any idea how this can be perform?

By the way I'm a newbie to Arduino, so many functions and process are not clear for me.

Thank again to you all for your help.

Gorbu:
My main concerns is how can we debug? Since I’m using UART 0 which is share with the USB Computer and ESP8266 I have no debug available nor monitoring. Any idea how this can be perform?

It’s certainly a tricky thing with those shields. Since the Mega has multiple UARTs, my suggestion would be to connect the shield to a different one. To do this, remove the shield and bend the pins 0 and 1 on the bottom of the shield so that they don’t go into the headers on the Mega when you replace the shield. Be careful not to bend it too much. If you bend the pins back and forth too often the pins could break off but if you’re careful you shouldn’t do any damage to the shield. Then run jumper wires from the 0 and 1 headers on the top of the shield to the headers for a different UART. You will need to adjust your code to reflect this change. This will allow you to still use Serial for debug output and will also eliminate any issues the shield is causing for you uploading and you won’t need to worry about the switches, just leave them on. Make sure to not use the pins of the ESP8266’s new UART for any other purpose.