ESP8266 - Guidance needed

Hi

Could someone please give me some simple guidance, I am just overwhelmed with the amount on ESP8266 stuff on the web and just need some guidance.

All I want to do with the ESP8266 at the moment is to retrieve the correct time from the 'internet'.

So I wired it up to a Mega on TX1/RX1. Short story........ was I got it to talk even though none of examples seemed to work e.g. they were looking for 'Ready' in the text response when my ESP8266 just sent 'OK' or something else.

So I tried to discover what my ESP8266 was returning and realised my slowish 'Serial' coding was not picking up all the data being sent. So I have now hooked up my ESP8266 via an FTDI USB module.

see here .....

It seems to be working but sends out the following every 20 seconds without prompting. I did not notice this while it was wired to the Mega

ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:4, boot mode:(3,0)

wdt reset
load 0x40100000, len 1396, room 16 
tail 4
chksum 0x89
load 0x3ffe8000, len 776, room 4 
tail 4
chksum 0xe8
load 0x3ffe8308, len 540, room 4 
tail 8
chksum 0xc0
csum 0xc0

2nd boot version : 1.4(b1)
  SPI Speed      : 40MHz
  SPI Mode       : DIO
  SPI Flash Size & Map: 8Mbit(512KB+512KB)
jump to run user1 @ 1000

rŽeÃ9lÀdÿ
Ai-Thinker Technology Co.,Ltd.

ready

If I send it 'AT+GMR' it sends back

AT+GMR

AT version:0.40.0.0(Aug  8 2015 14:45:58)
SDK version:1.3.0
Ai-Thinker Technology Co.,Ltd.
Build:1.3.0.2 Sep 11 2015 11:48:04
OK

My questions are....

1. Why does it send out the above message every 20 secs and how do I switch it off ?

2. Am I at the right firmware ?

3. Can you point me a sketch to retrieve UK time.

4. When I had it wired to the mega , it reported seeing a single neighbouring SSID but not my own BT hub 20 feet away. The same command is ignored with the FTDI setup? Any suggestions please?

Thanks

i dont think you need to hook it up to the Mega to do that?

i think the WDT is "watch dog timer"?

i know nothing else of help for you.

except this: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/HomePage

Hi Wareemba,

Thank you for responding, I do appreciate it :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , but since I posted I answered my own questions. See below if it helps others.....

Thanks

1. Why does it send out the above message every 20 secs and how do I switch it off ?

A - This was due to FTDI module not being able to deliver the 'peak' current needed by ESP8266, so then the ESP8266 kept resetting itself. The ESP8266 can demand as much as 200 milliamps or more at 3.3V.

1. Am I at the right firmware ?

A - I was initially confused about many videos updating from XXX0000902 to XXX0000905. They actually meant version 0.9 .
My module was already at version 1.3.0, and I have since updated to 1.5.1 ( I had to provide a more beefier power supply).

1. Can you point me a sketch to retrieve UK time.

A- Still trying but I have ideas now the ESP8266 is responding as expected.

1. When I had it wired to the mega , it reported seeing a single neighbouring SSID but not my own BT hub 20 feet away. The same command is ignored with the FTDI setup? Any suggestions please?

A - At the time my ESP module was running at 115200 baud. The Mega is too slow for this, and I was in fact only reading the last 64 bytes of the UART which was the last entry of about 12 wifi SSIDs. When I changed baud to 9600 I started to see many more entries including my own hub. The FTDI setup was having the current (see point 1) problem.

cblx5:
At the time my ESP module was running at 115200 baud. The Mega is too slow for this, and I was in fact only reading the last 64 bytes of the UART which was the last entry of about 12 wifi SSIDs.

Rubbish. Your code caused that, not a limitation of the Mega.

Whandall:
Rubbish. Your code caused that, not a limitation of the Mega.

Thanks, I did say this in my first post ... fourth comment.

and realised my slowish 'Serial' coding was not picking up all the data being sent.

my code was initially receiving at 115200 and writing to serial monitor at 9600, so I always missed about 80-90% of the AT+CWLAP command response. I know better know. My reference to the Mega was loosely used to imply my coding as well.

you can do IOT base project with this android app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.example.infosolution.arduinoespwificontroller&hl=en

Hi uanas1989,

Thank you ... that looks interesting for home automation. I will think about that in the future.
At the moment I want to capture the time from the internet to update a DS3231 clock module
and also pick up very short weather reports to build a weather station. I do not want to adjust
the DS3231 manually every 6 months when Daylight Saving time changes >:( >:( ... :slight_smile:

Thanks