ESP8266 is not responding to AT Commands

I am attemping to change the baud rate of my esp8266 01 to 9600 baud, but it doesnt responds when I try (typing AT) to communicate with it via serial monitor in the arduino IDE.

I am using SparkFun FTDI Basic Breakout - 3.3V and the pinout as this:

It is important however that I CAN still upload sketches to the esp8266, but I cant communicate with AT commands with it.

What Im I doing wrong?

zablon:
I am attemping to change the baud rate of my esp8266 01 to 9600 baud, but it doesnt responds when I try (typing AT) to communicate with it via serial monitor in the arduino IDE.

I am using SparkFun FTDI Basic Breakout - 3.3V and the pinout as this:

It is important however that I CAN still upload sketches to the esp8266, but I cant communicate with AT commands with it.

What Im I doing wrong?

If you have reflashed it to ESP-Arduino the AI thinker code was replaced by your sketch. You will have to reload the AI thinker (AT command code).

Chuck.

1. The “description” does not correspondent with the graphics.
    “GPIO1 <-----> GND” can not be seen in the graphics. But I can see that GPIO0 (not 1) is connected to GND.
    If you connect GPIO0 to GND, the ESP is ready to upload (receive) new firmware. In this state it will not respond to AT commands.
    Do not connect GPIO0 to GND if you do not want to upload new firmware.
    esp01.png

2. When I work with ESP and FTDI (USB to serial) I connect RX and TX like this:

FTDI   ESP
---------------
  RX ---- TX
  TX ---- RX

The lines are crossed.
But this might be a “labeling issue”.