ESP8266 not working?

Hello all, I have received two ESP8266 modules (from a chinese ebay vendor) and tried to hook them up to my Arduino Uno. I've connected the Arduino to the module as follows:

Pin 10 (RX) -- RX Pin 11 (TX) -- TX Arduino GND -- GND Arduino 3v3 -- VCC Arduino 3v3 -- CH_PD

When I connect it, nothing appears in my Realterm. I tried sending an AT command, and it returns this:

Both modules are showing the same problem. Any help would be appreciated. I think the main problem is that I'm trying to power the ESP with the arduino 3v3?? I'll try connecting a proper battery pack to it and see if it works..

Use a USB/TTL UART adapter like this one. It will allow you to communicate directly with the ESP8266 and power it from the adapter 3.3V pin. Try using ESPlorer to work with the ESP8266.

I did manage to get an OK response only once, when I tried rewiring the other module in the exact same way, it was back to the old story (first post). I ordered the USB/TTL UART adapter, lets see if that helps :)

Hey,

I have also some problems getting the ESP8266 to work with my Arduino duemilanove.

For another project I have already orderd a USB/TTL UART adapter so I will try using ESPlorer when the adapter arrives.

Nevertheless I am also trying some other things. Since the duemilanove has only one serial port, I can't use the serial monitor to watch the communication. So, I was wondering if there is another possbility to see the communication and I tried the following:

void setup() {
 pinMode(13, OUTPUT); 
}

void loop() {

Serial.begin(300);
 Serial.println("AT"); 
 delay(1000);
 if(Serial.find("OK"))
  digitalWrite(13,HIGH); 

Serial.begin(1200);
 Serial.println("AT"); 
 delay(1000);