ESP8266 Power

Hi All,

This has probably been asked a 100s of times but I couldn't find what I needed by searching.

Im new to using this platform and want to use it as part of my home automation setup.

I'm looking to mount the device somewhere where there is already a Mains cable coming out of the wall which is powering my existing off the shelf thermostat. Its just screwed into the device into a screw terminal.

Can the ESP8266 board be connected to mains power? Obviously not directly plugged in, but is there any form of step down module that can step down UK mains power to the 5v this board needs?

Thanks
Ross

1 Like

So your module has a regulator to drop 5V to the 3.3V that the ESP8266 needs? There are a lot of phone charges that output 5V (look for the micro USB plug). I buy them for around a dollar (US) each at my local thrift store. Usually they will be marked with the output voltage and current. Look for 5V and at least 500mA. Cut off the plug and wire to your board.

Ah ok,

I did think of doing that but thought it was a bit of a bodge job. I'm currently powering my 8266 via a USB cable into my laptop while i'm still testing bits.

I was hoping for a more elegant solution than hacking up a phone charger to accomplish this?

I think that reusing things that will just be thrown away is an elegant solution.

I have used old phone chargers and other various wall wart transformers for many projects.
It certainly looks more commercial than my other go-to; a LiPo battery and a voltage regulator.

Are you in the UK? If so replace your 13Amp sockets with ones that have USB ports on them

2 Gang USB 13 Amp Sockets

rdavey228:
Ah ok,

I did think of doing that but thought it was a bit of a bodge job. I'm currently powering my 8266 via a USB cable into my laptop while i'm still testing bits.

I was hoping for a more elegant solution than hacking up a phone charger to accomplish this?

'Hacking a phone charger'...????? I don't get why you think this isn't the way to do it. USB phone chargers are perfect for powering Arduino/ESP8266 projects. What were you expecting?

IMHO.. he was expecting help on how to tap the MAINS line to get a regulated +3.3v from it..

How does one connect a USB phone charger DIRECTLY to a MAIN wire? (ie: not a wall plug/outlet... DIRECTLY to the MAINS line he references in post #1)

I dont see any reference to an OUTLET even being part of the equation (available)? (Did I over look that tid-bit?)

For a home automation, I dont see outlets being very efficient for built in home circuits..
I would image that most 'devices' will need to be hidden/tucked BEHIND wall switches/outlet..

• I like the link to USB enabled wall switch plates!

xl97:
For a home automation, I dont see outlets being very efficient for built in home circuits..
I would image that most 'devices' will need to be hidden/tucked BEHIND wall switches/outlet..

Today's home designers and builders can often barely meet the safety requirements for basic electricity. Now this? Hidden and tucked away devices attached directly to the mains seems like a bad idea to me. Actually, I don't think the electrical code (at least in my country) allows any devices to be in an outlet or switch box, other than an approved socket or switch. I think that's wise.

I guess I'm a little un-clear.

Fake Scenario:

I want to control the ROOM lights (like in the ceiling.. not a lamp plugged into an outlet or something)..

ie: the room lights that are connected to the switches in the wall/switch plate.

Your thought process/suggestion is to..

plug something into an outlet.. (like the phone charger).. then run/snake those wires..... to?

The ESP need to make some sort of connection with the MAINS (via relay..etc).......yes?

So you suggest having something (+5v cell phone charger) that is plugged into an outlet.. then have the this wire run... up the wall? Where an ESP (is not hidden behind any switch plates)... but just dangling from it?.. with an exposed MAIN lines connecting to it?

I guess I cant grasp/understand this approach.

Maybe @rdavey228 is looking for something like this?
Put this and the ESP into a little box, attaching mains cable and it's pretty "solid".

Note of warning: I've no idea how safe such a buck converter is!

Best

If all he wants to do is controll lifgts wirelessly there are these options already available

Light Symphony

or

Wireless Light Control

I have installed both in properties