ESP8266 - probleme to connect ESP8266 / programmer not responding

Hi. I bought : - 4xESP8266 Esp-01 Serial Wireless Wifi Transceiver Module boards + - SODIAL(R) Module FT232RL FTDI 5V 3.3V Convertisseur USB a TTL Adaptateur Rouge

I have connected my PC to the FTDI via USB, and the FTDI to the ESP8266 (Tx>Rx, Rx>Tx, GRND to GRND). The other connections of the ESP8266 are : VCC >3,3V, GPIO01 > GRND, CH-P0 > 3,3V, GRND > GRND.

I'm using IDE of ARDUINO. I have loaded in IDE the package : http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json

I have selected that board in the tool menu.

When I try to download the code, I have an error message telling me the board is not connected.

I tried to test the connection in the menu Tool/Wifi01 Firmware/certificates Updater/Test connection, on the COM4 port, and I’ve got the error msg : « Programmer not responding ». java.lang.Exception: Programmer not responding at cc.arduino.plugins.wifi101.flashers.java.FlasherSerialClient.hello(FlasherSerialClient.java:105) at cc.arduino.plugins.wifi101.flashers.java.JavaFlasher.testConnection(JavaFlasher.java:51) at cc.arduino.plugins.wifi101.UpdaterImpl$2.run(UpdaterImpl.java:110)

I tried with the 4 boards and I’ve got the same error.

Any idea of the error I may have done ? Thanks. CH

Hello,

can you upload a photo of your programmer? There are a number of ways to program your ESP 01 using arduino uno as a programmer or by joining vcc-ch_pd and gpio0-GND and using a specific programmer. Thu you should show us an image of your device before we got you a module fried. I use crocodile clips to program my esp01

Hello.
Here are my additional inputs.
Does it help ?

report.pdf (309 KB)

christophe782: Hi. I bought : - 4xESP8266 Esp-01 Serial Wireless Wifi Transceiver Module boards + - SODIAL(R) Module FT232RL FTDI 5V 3.3V Convertisseur USB a TTL Adaptateur Rouge

I have connected my PC to the FTDI via USB, and the FTDI to the ESP8266 (Tx>Rx, Rx>Tx, GRND to GRND). The other connections of the ESP8266 are : VCC >3,3V, GPIO01 > GRND, CH-P0 > 3,3V, GRND > GRND.

I'm using IDE of ARDUINO. I have loaded in IDE the package : http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json

I have selected that board in the tool menu.

When I try to download the code, I have an error message telling me the board is not connected.

I tried to test the connection in the menu Tool/Wifi01 Firmware/certificates Updater/Test connection, on the COM4 port, and I’ve got the error msg : « Programmer not responding ». java.lang.Exception: Programmer not responding at cc.arduino.plugins.wifi101.flashers.java.FlasherSerialClient.hello(FlasherSerialClient.java:105) at cc.arduino.plugins.wifi101.flashers.java.JavaFlasher.testConnection(JavaFlasher.java:51) at cc.arduino.plugins.wifi101.UpdaterImpl$2.run(UpdaterImpl.java:110)

I tried with the 4 boards and I’ve got the same error.

Any idea of the error I may have done ? Thanks. CH

The problem seems with the FTDI programmer. If you have any another FTDI programmer, then try using that for the upload. If the second FTDI is bought from the same place, then the both are similar. Both should get the error. But please try doing that and tell what do you get.

..Arnav

Hello. Thanks for your input. I have ordered à new one (a diff model). Hovewer, why doesn’t it work ? FTDI are Not all the same ?

Does your schematic looks perfectly like this?

If not then use this schematic and try uploading. Also send us the full photo of your console error when you try to upload. (Show verbose output should be enabled in the preferences)

…Arnav

Hello. Very good documentation. Great ! Thanks. I'm able not to connect, but when downloading the firmware with NodeMCU Flasher tool, i'm got an erro message...

Note:Detect serial port changed. Note:Auto MAP serial port.Port-->COM4

Note:Serial port connected. Note:Begin find ESP8266. Note:ESP8266 ACK success. Note:ESP8266 ACK success. Note:ESP8266 ACK success. Note:Set base address success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Note:Program flash success. Error:Write flash timeout.

I will investigate a little bit more on Internet, but if you have any idea.... welcome !

Ok good,

Now the error looks fixable on the internet.

Do one thing. Remove the FTDI programmer from your PC, then remove the flash pin attached, and then connect the FTDI. It should work now.

..Arnav

Hello Arnav. Many thanks but… I don’t understand what needs to be done… :-[
Remove the FTDI programmer from your PC <<< You means : I disconnect the USB cable that connects the PC to the FTDI from the PC ?

Remove the flash pin attached <<<< what is the flash pin ?

and then connect the FTDI <<<< I connect the FTDI from what to what ?

Thanks again for your support. :o

christophe782:
Hello Arnav. Many thanks but… I don’t understand what needs to be done… :-[
Remove the FTDI programmer from your PC <<< You means : I disconnect the USB cable that connects the PC to the FTDI from the PC ?

and then connect the FTDI <<<< I connect the FTDI from what to what ?

Thanks again for your support. :o

First, flash the firmware from the Flash Tool, then after the long time of downding the code to the ESP, it will say “failed to leave flash mode” (or something like that)

Then what you need to do is, remove the 5V and GND pins from the ESP, then reconnect them again. And try the serial monitor. It will work as it’s programmed firmware.

…Arnav

christophe782:

When you are flashing your ESP, then you should notice that one pin - GPIO 0 is connected to the ground. It is the flash pin. When flashing, this pin must be connected to the ground before the ESP turns on. And when the ESP needs to be used and not flashed, then the GPIO should not be connected to the ground. Or it will still be in the flash mode. So disconnect the ESP power, then disconnect GPIO 0 from ground, then connect the power to ESP. It will work according to the firmware.

…Arnav

Hi Karma. Karmafor all your explanation. But... still trying to solve the pb...

@Karma :I read carefully what you wrote, but in fact, I didn't reach the poit you are refering to. The load of the firmware seems to end before the firmware has been fully loaded. I didn't reach "failed to leave flash mode". Please look at the screenshot I sent.

I tried however to do what you have specified - I powered of the boards, and disconnected the GPIO00 (from GRND) and GPIO002 from 3,3V, restarted the boards, and even more, and I was not able to connect to the with AT command to the box (using CoolTerm. I see that data are sent, but no reply at all).

So, my view, is that I'm still unable to load all the firmware...But I 'm still unable to understand the reason why.

christophe782: So, my view, is that I'm still unable to load all the firmware...But I 'm still unable to understand the reason why.

Ok, so the ESP Flash progress ends while the flashing is incomplete. There seems problem with the software.

Is your firmware original? Because it can be more than the ESP's memory. Download the proper AT firmware, then reinstall the Flash Tool, and also install the proper latest version of the Flash Tool. (Don't install the beta version because it is sometimes not stable).

.. Arnav

Hi. So.... I've reinstall esptool and tried to download firmware ESP_8266_BIN0.92. I can see that the download goes up to 100%, and then, I've got an error mg :

"A fatal error occurred: MD5 of file does not match data in flash".

Not easy to understand where does come the pb when browsing onto Internet on teh forums... Any idea on your side ?

christophe782: Hi. So.... I've reinstall esptool and tried to download firmware ESP_8266_BIN0.92. I can see that the download goes up to 100%, and then, I've got an error mg :

"A fatal error occurred: MD5 of file does not match data in flash".

Not easy to understand where does come the pb when browsing onto Internet on teh forums... Any idea on your side ?

The memory problem is in the ESP now. Because you have tried all from your PC.

The ESPtool works in this way -

First, it writes the firmware to the ESP8266. Then it "verifies" the flash memory, to confirm that the flashed code is saved correctly in the ESP.

The failure in your system occurs when the ESPtool tries to verify the flash memory. It says that the flash memory firmware doesn't match the firmware that was uploaded to it. Hmmmmmm.... The problem is with ESP's flash memory. The ESP you are using is broken. All ESPs you are using are broken because they are bought from the same place.

This can be caused by these things-

1. Wrong voltage given to the ESP power pin. (It uses 3.3V and you shouldn't supply 5V or it will die)

2. Wrong voltage or unexpected signals given to the GPIO pins.

3. Flashing any wrong code to it.

4. If nothing of these things had happened to the boards, then your boards are defective ade need to be replaced.

..Arnav