ESP8266 shield on UnoR3- 2 questions

Hi all,

Just started working on some smaller Arduino projects, so I'm very new to all this, but also extremely excited.
This weekend I have added a ESP8266 shield and habe some trouble getting it started.

Background info:

• I use Arduino Create as online IDE, which I have upgraded to a "maker" plan
  • I work on a chromebook and have some difficulties recognizing my board in the regular IDE, so using the local IDE is not an option for the moment (I'm working on this though...)
  • the wifi shield does power up correctly and I can see it's signal on my cellphone for example
  • I have found several pieces of info on getting the ESP module started, but they all seem to require windows and the local IDE

My 2 newbie questions:

1. How to proceed for connecting the wifi-module to my network in the cloud IDE?
  2. The shield does not have any female GPIO pins on its upper side, only small solder points. This is unlike the wifi101 shield for example. To me this seems like all GPIOs are now "hidden" by the shield. Any simple solutions to that? I hope this would not mean that I need to solder every time I want to connect something, because this would mean a lot less flexibility... Is there any way to "add" the female part on top?

The shield is NOT one of the official boards supported by the cloud IDE.
Only those listed are supported.

From the side picture it is hard to make out if those headers that are further inboard are the ones used by either the ESP or UNO so a link to where you got the board may be more useful ?

Thx Bob!

Here is the link to the product page of the supplier. VMA205: WLAN ESP-WROOM-02 SHIELD – Velleman – Wholesaler and developer of electronics
I suppose the pins further inside the top side of the ESP shield are the ones to be used then? Difference between analog and digital not very clear (to me) though..

It is not numbered very well which is unusual for Velman products as they used to have great documentation.

Certainly looks like you may be limited to what the ESP provides and that the UNO is just providing a mounting base :slightly_frowning_face:

Fortunately there is plenty of documentation for ESP's which tend to use a reasonably standard pinout.
Yours uses the WROOM series so working out what pin does what should be quite simple.

Meanwhile I have figured out the pin configuration. It was just a matter of testing all of them…

However, now I’m facing some issues to upload sketches to my Uno linked up with the wifi shield.
In the IDE I selected “generic ESP8266 module” under tools/boards
Port is com3.

On my smartphone, I can see the ESPmodule’s wifi signal, so it seems to be alive…

In the right botoom corner of the IDE it reads “generic ESP8266 module on com3”. However, I do not know if this just displays the coices I made or whether it actually recognizes that board on that port.
As far as I understand, dip switch 1 on the wifishield needs to be turned off when uploading sketches to the Arduino, so I did that.

When uploading an example sketch, I get the following error message. I have tested different dip-switch combinations, but they all lead to the same error.

Basically the last two lines (in Dutch) state “the selected serial port does not exist or your board is not connected”

esptool.py v2.8
Serial port COM3
Connecting……____Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\guyv\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.7.4/tools/upload.py”, line 65, in
esptool.main(cmdline)
File “C:/Users/guyv/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.7.4/tools/esptool\esptool.py”, line 2890, in main
esp.connect(args.before)
File “C:/Users/guyv/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.7.4/tools/esptool\esptool.py”, line 483, in connect
raise FatalError(‘Failed to connect to %s: %s’ % (self.CHIP_NAME, last_error))
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header
_
de geselecteerde seriële poort _
bestaat niet of uw board is niet aangesloten.

When trying

It sounds like you are trying to upload to the ESP itself which would require you to have the correct ESP core package installed.

If you are trying to upload to the UNO then you should switch over the two DIP switches so that the UNO appears instead of the ESP in device manager.
You might want to disconnect the USB cable before you do the switches.

Thx Bob. Did exactly as you indicated, but then I get the following error:

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 10), Board:"Arduino Uno"

sketch_feb12a:1:10: fatal error: ESP8266WiFi.h: No such file or directory

#include "ESP8266WiFi.h"

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

exit status 1

ESP8266WiFi.h: No such file or directory

Please post error messages and code etc inside code tags ( </> ) where possible.
The error indicates you do not have the library for that code installed.

If you are using an example from the velleman site then there should be a link there to get it.
Beware that not all Wi-Fi sketches are for all Wi-Fi boards.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.