ESP8266 - Wireless programming ?

is it possible to program this board using wireless ?

yes

You might need to first update the firmware over serial to a newer version that supports OTA programming. Though I have not tested it myself I also read you can use the ESP8266 to program your Arduino over WiFi.

Gadget999:
is it possible to program this board using wireless ?

I can follow Riva’s point that you could use the ESP8266 module to program another board where the ESP8266 acts as the wireless interface.

Trying to wrap my head around how to go about programming the ESP8266 itself over wireless…?

aisc:
Trying to wrap my head around how to go about programming the ESP8266 itself over wireless....?

http://jeelabs.org/book/1526e/

Thanks Guys !

I guess I need to buy some of these bad boys !

Riva:
I have not tested it myself I also read you can use the ESP8266 to program your Arduino over WiFi.

i have done this. it is even super easy to send different programs to multiple units scattered all over the world. small lua script on the esps and avrs with bootloader few dozen bytes in size. hex files can be sent from a browser on pc or cell phone.

ota flashing an esp itself without an avr is approximately 100x more complicated.

john1993:
i have done this. it is even super easy to send different programs to multiple units scattered all over the world. small lua script on the esps and avrs with bootloader few dozen bytes in size. hex files can be sent from a browser on pc or cell phone.

Sounds interesting, will it work with the ESP-01 modules or do you need a version with more pins.
I also assume you need the Lua firmware loaded? The version I have seen (see the Jeelabs link I posted above) seems to use a custom firmware and program over a Telnet port but needs more pins than the ESP-01.

with esp01 you can remotely program 2 units. with esp12 you can do 9. the trick involved keeping all reset pins high except the one selected. much simpler than telnet and only about 20 lines of lua needed. tested with android default browser and firefox on cell and pc. as a demo was able to send blinky to a buddy in china and several domestic locations. i use it to update my smart home modules.

john1993:
with esp01 you can remotely program 2 units. with esp12 you can do 9. the trick involved keeping all reset pins high except the one selected. much simpler than telnet and only about 20 lines of lua needed. tested with android default browser and firefox on cell and pc. as a demo was able to send blinky to a buddy in china and several domestic locations. i use it to update my smart home modules.

Do you have more details on this or link info please. I was going to put bluetooth wireless programming in a project but this may be more useful.

i have no blog or project threads but if there is interest maybe start one. when i get home will try to dig up and post some lua and avr boot code to play with.

Apologies , to Gadget if we are taking over your thread - but the subject is related.

@Riva/John : I am interested in remotely programming an Arduino i.e. loading an updated sketch.

Could you provide a bit more info in context for the following scenario.
If I have a remote (relative to me i.e. in another country) Arduino, what ESP8266 setup would I need to be able to program the remote Arduino from my location i.e. upload an edited sketch from my location.

for my method you need an arduino with rx and reset connected to tx and an io pin on the esp8266. those are the only two signals required. for software the arduino must have a simple bootloader installed and the esp a small lua script. at the other location a regular internet browser running on cell, tablet, or pc.

for long distance there must be a router or other hot spot nearby. for local no ap, they can just talk to each other direct.

when i get a chance i will put up some attachments. probably start a thread to avoid hijacking.

aisc:
Apologies , to Gadget if we are taking over your thread - but the subject is related.

@Riva/John : I am interested in remotely programming an Arduino i.e. loading an updated sketch.

Could you provide a bit more info in context for the following scenario.
If I have a remote (relative to me i.e. in another country) Arduino, what ESP8266 setup would I need to be able to program the remote Arduino from my location i.e. upload an edited sketch from my location.

no problem - pleased it has sparked off some conversation

john1993:
when i get a chance i will put up some attachments. probably start a thread to avoid hijacking.

No need to open a new thread, I already have a open thread on the subject.
I will respond to your last post there for continuity.

Thanks Gadget, but we'll move to the above more appropriately titled thread.