ESP8266WebServer response time

Hi,

Recently I am working on ESP8266WebServer.
I have made webserver which listens to GET request from client devices and sends back appropriate response.

I just want to understand that what I am experiencing is a normal behavior or not. As when I send GET request from browser then it takes around 940mSec to complete the whole process. I am attaching screenshot for the same.

However on other side the I took trial with PIC32MZ + ATWINC1500-MR210PB then the response time is merely 55mSec or so.

Please let me know whether this is normal or there might be some issues.

My setup is as below

ESP8266 WROOM-02D
Arduino 1.8.5
ESP8266WebServer 1.0

PIC1: ESP8266_response_timing
PIC2: ATWINC1500_response_timing

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Regards,

Dinesh

do you use buffering and set content-length of the response or use chunked encoding?

Juraj:
do you use buffering and set content-length of the response or use chunked encoding?

Hi,

I am not using buffering or also content-length.

-Dinesh

dinesh4761:
Hi,

I am not using buffering or also content-length.

The browser doesn't know if it received all the data and waits until the connection is closed or timeout is reached.

As when I send GET request from browser then it takes around 940mSec to complete the whole process.

What browser are you using?

I had a similar experience with a fairly simple ESP8266 webserver.

Response times refreshing the page with a Google Chrome browser on a Windows 10 PC was noticeably slow, but with the same code, the chrome browser on an android phone was very fast. Response on the PC with Microsoft Edge was also very fast. Fav icons did not appear to be the issue.

My time checks were with start and finish millis() recorded before and after the html code sections. I also found that the best speeds were with fewer, but longer, client.print() statements. There was always a significant speed difference between Chrome and Edge or the phone.

cattledog:
What browser are you using?

I had a similar experience with a fairly simple ESP8266 webserver.

Response times refreshing the page with a Google Chrome browser on a Windows 10 PC was noticeably slow, but with the same code, the chrome browser on an android phone was very fast. Response on the PC with Microsoft Edge was also very fast. Fav icons did not appear to be the issue.

different timeouts in browser waiting for data without knowing the length

cattledog:
My time checks were with start and finish millis() recorded before and after the html code sections. I also found that the best speeds were with fewer, but longer, client.print() statements. There was always a significant speed difference between Chrome and Edge or the phone.

use buffering

Hi

I have an observation :slight_smile:

I just made an tcp socket listener and used it to listen to GET request and sent back responses.
Here I have observed that response time is reduced and now I am able to make it happen in just 70 to 100mSec
However it need to implement whole webserver related functionality at my own.

Regards,

Dinesh

yes. did my library and examples help?