Eternet Shield + Mega 1280 Problem !!!

Hello,

there is a problem with my Arduino Mega 1280 and my Arduino Mega 1280 compatible Ethernet shield not working properly together although it says "Mega Compatible" on it (Please see picture).

First I just tried to plug in the Ethernet Sheila into my Mega and to upload the "WebServer" example sketch to the Arduino board, that didn't work. Then I tried the the other examples and none of them worked (When I type in the IP address in Mozilla Firefox, it says that it couldn't find it, but when I ping the same IP address it responds all 4 times in 128ms!).

So after searching for the answer using google, I found this website:

http://mcukits.com/2009/04/06/arduino-ethernet-shield-mega-hack/

It said to disconnect pins: 10, 11, 12, and 13 from the Mega and to reconnect them like so :

MEGA pin 50 (MISO) to Arduino Ethernet Shield pin 12. MEGA pin 51 (MOSI) to Arduino Ethernet Shield pin 11. MEGA pin 52 (SCK) to Arduino Ethernet Shield pin 13. MEGA pin 53 (SS) to Arduino Ethernet Shield pin 10.

After doing that (see included picture) it turns out that I have to change the library its self (See included link),

but I could not find the file because I am using Arduino 1.0.3, instead of 0015 like on the website. Now I don't know what to do to make it work, again this is what I'm trying to do: Either connect the Ethernet Shield to the Arduino Mega with a software hack or a hardware hack or even both, so pretty much whatever it takes to get it working.

Please if any one knows ANYTHING that could help me, please tell me about it !

i breifly put my 5100 ethernet shield on my mega and the ethernet shield seemed to work. Did your combo work before you "modified" it?

It only "worked" VERY rarely and then when I would type the IP address into Firefox or IE, it gave me a whole bunch of junk that it wasn't suppose-to, this was on the "webServer" example in which I only changed the IP address. So it should of worked perfectly fine, since I only changed the IP address.

When I first plugged my ethernet shield onto my mega, on one side I didn't notice the pins were one hole off. I removed the ethernet shield and carefully ensured the pins went in the correct holes. I switched the IDE to mega did some quick testing. My server and client code seemed to work without any issues. You might check to make the ethernet shield pins are actually in their correct holes.

You do not need that wiring hack. That would only apply to ethernet shields without the ICSP connector socket. That is the connection for the SPI data lines. Your original problem was probably code related.

SurferTim: You do not need that wiring hack. That would only apply to ethernet shields without the ICSP connector socket. That is the connection for the SPI data lines. Your original problem was probably code related.

^^ Yes, you are correct. It is now working without a mods and all the pins are on their place now, I have no idea why it didn't work before.