Ethernet Bonjour and issues with the ENC28J60

Hi, I am looking for some info to point me in the right direction.

I have an ENC28J60 connected to an Arduino Mega and would like to make the device broadcast a service using bonjour.

The first issue I ran into was that the default Ethernet library supplied with the Arduino IDE won't start a connection using the ENC28J60. When I call Ethernet.begin() it just freezes and doesn't even return an error, which makes my think i have it weird wrong for the library to work correctly. I have also tried different wiring without any avail.

Second I tried the UIPEthernet library which works fine however as far as I am aware it does not support multicast thus mDNS won't be possible, so I then moved to the EtherCard library which does support multicast and I implemented the EtherCard-MDNS library, It returns true when starting the mDNS responder however i couldn't get my Mac to access the .local url and it doesn't appear when using a bonjour browser. I also have reservations of using the EtherCard-MDNS library as it seems to have been abandoned.

I would prefer to use the default ethernet library if at all posable as there is the EthernetBonjour library which seems to be well supported.

So here are my questions:

• Should the ENC28J60 work with the default lib?
  • If so what could be the issue causing it not to connect?
  • Am I wright in thinking that the UIPEthernet library won't work for mDNS?
  • Would I be better off switching to a W5100?

Thanks.

The first issue I ran into was that the default Ethernet library supplied with the Arduino IDE won't start a connection using the ENC28J60. When I call Ethernet.begin() it just freezes and doesn't even return an error, which makes my think i have it weird wrong for the library to work correctly. I have also tried different wiring without any avail.

The Ethernet library that comes with the IDE is NOT for the ENC28J60. It only works with ethernet shields with W5100 chips.

Should the ENC28J60 work with the default lib?

No.

Would I be better off switching to a W5100?

Absolutely.

Cool thanks, I actually ended up ordering a W5100 yesterday anyway.