Ethernet connection failed *Please Help*

Halo guys and gals(if there is some)
I am having a little bit of a problem with my Ethernet connectivity and i hope there is somebody here that can help me.

this is the story…
My company has recently gone into contract with some Japanese fellows and i was requested to build a Protocol converter for a Battery Management System(BMS).

now i have made use of an Arduino Mega, first i used an Uno but it turned out it didnt have enough memory to control 65 li-ion batteries over the canbus network.

ON the Mega i have a Canbus shield that reads and monitors all canbus information from the BMS that is given in an 29 bit extended frame.

The Canbus sytem works just fine. for the first prototype i used a wiznet w5100 shield with the mega and canbus shield to establish an ethernet connection so that the BMS unit can be added onto a network and monitored ofer GPRS. so for my code i wrote the IP address and gateway and all connection information into the code. This system works perfectly, i currently have two prototype units over in Japan that is being tested. For the second prototype i decided to change the Ethernet shield to a much smaller version wiz810mj in order to reduce overall size and i also went ahead and wrote the code to be able to connect to the IP address from your browser so that you can change the ip settings when needed. The arduino mega with the New Ethernet shield(the smaller one) can connect and it is accessible over a browser to change settings but now that i have added this new code into the overall setup with the canbus i cant get connectivity when i change the ip address to the client in japans settings.
When i was testing the prototype in my office i was using the ip address 192.168.0.12, but to connect to the Japanese system i had to make the ip address 192.168.1.12. by doing this i can no longer connect to the ip address over a browser and i also can not ping that ip address from my PC.

The Japanese system uses a Netbiter EC350 gprs modem and thus requiers the ip address to be 192.168.1.12 and this did work on the first prototype with the ip settings hardcoded into the mega code.

What is the significance with that 1 and 0 in the ip code and why would changing it from 0 to a 1 cause my system not to ping. My PC network runs with that specific number being 0 but obviously this wount work with the Netbiter EC350 system. Is there anybody here with alot of ethernet experience that can help me understand why my pc can conect to the prototype using 192.168.0.12 but the netbiter ec350 system can not connect to 192.168.1.12 , i have tried changing the DNS server and gateway addresses but nothing is making a change, The hardware is working perfectly this i know and the original coded software is working perfectly as well. It is just this simple change of IP address that is causing it not to work that i do not understand why.

Here is the new ethernet connection code that gives you the access over a web browser to be able to change ip settings. You will see on this code the ip is set to 192.168.0.117 and this also works fine, but when i change that ‘0’ to a ‘1’ then the system no longer works.

#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>
#include <TextFinder.h>
#include <EEPROM.h>
#include <avr/pgmspace.h>

byte mac[] = { 0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED};
byte ip[] = {192,168,0,117};
byte subnet[] = {255,255,255,0};
byte gateway[] = {192,168,0,100};
byte dnsserver[] = {192,168,0,100};
EthernetServer server(80);

char buffer[100];

const char htmlx0[] PROGMEM = "<html><title>Arduino Ethernet Setup Page</title><body marginwidth=\"0\" marginheight=\"0\" ";
const char htmlx1[] PROGMEM = "leftmargin=\"0\" style=\"margin: 0; padding: 0;\"><table bgcolor=\"#999999\" border";
const char htmlx2[] PROGMEM = "=\"0\" width=\"100%\" cellpadding=\"1\" style=\"font-family:Verdana;color:#fff";
const char htmlx3[] PROGMEM = "fff;font-size:12px;\"><tr><td>&nbsp Arduino Ethernet Setup Page</td></tr></table>
";
const char * const string_table0[] PROGMEM = {htmlx0, htmlx1, htmlx2, htmlx3};

const char htmla0[] PROGMEM = "<script>function hex2num (s_hex) {eval(\"var n_num=0X\" + s_hex);return n_num;}";
const char htmla1[] PROGMEM = "</script><table><form><input type=\"hidden\" name=\"SBM\" value=\"1\"><tr><td>MAC:";
const char htmla2[] PROGMEM = "<input id=\"T1\" type=\"text\" size=\"2\" maxlength=\"2\" name=\"DT1\" value=\"";
const char htmla3[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input id=\"T3\" type=\"text\" size=\"2\" maxlength=\"2\" name=\"DT2\" value=\"";
const char htmla4[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input id=\"T5\" type=\"text\" size=\"2\" maxlength=\"2\" name=\"DT3\" value=\"";
const char htmla5[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input id=\"T7\" type=\"text\" size=\"2\" maxlength=\"2\" name=\"DT4\" value=\"";
const char htmla6[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input id=\"T9\" type=\"text\" size=\"2\" maxlength=\"2\" name=\"DT5\" value=\"";
const char htmla7[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input id=\"T11\" type=\"text\" size=\"2\" maxlength=\"2\" name=\"DT6\" value=\"";
const char * const string_table1[] PROGMEM  = {htmla0, htmla1, htmla2, htmla3, htmla4, htmla5, htmla6, htmla7};

const char htmlb0[] PROGMEM = "\"><input id=\"T2\" type=\"hidden\" name=\"DT1\"><input id=\"T4\" type=\"hidden\" name=\"DT2";
const char htmlb1[] PROGMEM = "\"><input id=\"T6\" type=\"hidden\" name=\"DT3\"><input id=\"T8\" type=\"hidden\" name=\"DT4";
const char htmlb2[] PROGMEM = "\"><input id=\"T10\" type=\"hidden\" name=\"DT5\"><input id=\"T12\" type=\"hidden\" name=\"D";
const char htmlb3[] PROGMEM = "T6\"></td></tr><tr><td>IP: <input type=\"text\" size=\"3\" maxlength=\"3\" name=\"DT7\" value=\"";
const char htmlb4[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input type=\"text\" size=\"3\" maxlength=\"3\" name=\"DT8\" value=\"";
const char htmlb5[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input type=\"text\" size=\"3\" maxlength=\"3\" name=\"DT9\" value=\"";
const char htmlb6[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input type=\"text\" size=\"3\" maxlength=\"3\" name=\"DT10\" value=\"";
const char * const string_table2[] PROGMEM  = {htmlb0, htmlb1, htmlb2, htmlb3, htmlb4, htmlb5, htmlb6};

const char htmlc0[] PROGMEM = "\"></td></tr><tr><td>MASK: <input type=\"text\" size=\"3\" maxlength=\"3\" name=\"DT11\" value=\"";
const char htmlc1[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input type=\"text\" size=\"3\" maxlength=\"3\" name=\"DT12\" value=\"";
const char htmlc2[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input type=\"text\" size=\"3\" maxlength=\"3\" name=\"DT13\" value=\"";
const char htmlc3[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input type=\"text\" size=\"3\" maxlength=\"3\" name=\"DT14\" value=\"";
const char * const string_table3[] PROGMEM  = {htmlc0, htmlc1, htmlc2, htmlc3};

const char htmld0[] PROGMEM = "\"></td></tr><tr><td>GW: <input type=\"text\" size=\"3\" maxlength=\"3\" name=\"DT15\" value=\"";
const char htmld1[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input type=\"text\" size=\"3\" maxlength=\"3\" name=\"DT16\" value=\"";
const char htmld2[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input type=\"text\" size=\"3\" maxlength=\"3\" name=\"DT17\" value=\"";
const char htmld3[] PROGMEM = "\">.<input type=\"text\" size=\"3\" maxlength=\"3\" name=\"DT18\" value=\"";
const char htmld4[] PROGMEM = "\"></td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td><input id=\"button1\"type=\"submit\" value=\"SUBMIT\" ";
const char htmld5[] PROGMEM = "></td></tr></form></table></body></html>";
const char * const string_table4[] PROGMEM  = {htmld0, htmld1, htmld2, htmld3, htmld4, htmld5};

const char htmle0[] PROGMEM = "Onclick=\"document.getElementById('T2').value ";
const char htmle1[] PROGMEM = "= hex2num(document.getElementById('T1').value);";
const char htmle2[] PROGMEM = "document.getElementById('T4').value = hex2num(document.getElementById('T3').value);";
const char htmle3[] PROGMEM = "document.getElementById('T6').value = hex2num(document.getElementById('T5').value);";
const char htmle4[] PROGMEM = "document.getElementById('T8').value = hex2num(document.getElementById('T7').value);";
const char htmle5[] PROGMEM = "document.getElementById('T10').value = hex2num(document.getElementById('T9').value);";
const char htmle6[] PROGMEM = "document.getElementById('T12').value = hex2num(document.getElementById('T11').value);\"";
const char * const string_table5[] PROGMEM  = {htmle0, htmle1, htmle2, htmle3, htmle4, htmle5, htmle6};

const byte ID = 0x92;

What are you using to route between the 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x networks ?

my computer is connected to the company network that runs on a standard adsl line. that one uses 192.168.0.xx.

The unit i am trying to access runs on a wireless gprs modem called a Netbiter ec350. and it requires the 192.168.1.xx

The original (first prototype) runs on this wireless network.

The new one does not run on 192.168.1.xx but it runs on 192.168.0.xx.

I cant understand why because the settings is exactly the same ( i used the same address settings from the original prototype)

A device on a 192.168.0.x network cannot normally talk to a device on a 192.168.1.x network unless there is network routing between them.

How your network is setup is not clear, but your 'problem' is what would be expected from the description so far.

I would speak to whoever administers your network, there are possible security implications in attempting to fix the 'problem'.

And indecently, your issue sounds like a TCP\IP networking issue, and nothing to do with Ethernet.

Ethernet is just the physical medium that moves data packets around the network.

yes you are correct in saying its a TCP/IP issue,
i have connected up an arduino uno with the ethernet shield and only wrote the code needed to run the ethernet shields connectivity just to siplify everthing in search of the problem.
That is why i said the problem has to be with the address settings because this simple setup causes the exact same problem. 192.168.0.xx can ping on my pc but 192.168.1.xx will not ping on my pc.
Do you think that it could be that my IT company has set up some form of security that is causing the problem.

It just doesnt make sense to me that the original design could connect and the new design does not, the only thing that is diffrent is the fact that you can go onto the browser and change settings.

what is the reason for the diffrence in ip numbers. i mean obviously it is to generate more possibilities for ip numbers but what makes the 192.168.1.xx so different from the 192.168.0.xx

surely if i can ping 192.168.0.xx then i should be able to ping 192.168.1.xx if all the other settings such as gateway and DNS are the same, or am i wrong...

You have to answer the question in reply #1.

Frostedfocus:
but what makes the 192.168.1.xx so different from the 192.168.0.xx

The numbers are different usually because they identify different networks and different networks are normally connected together by devices (which can be PCs) that route packets between different networks.

I see no merit in trying to work out why something might have worked in the past.

If this were a home network, then there are things you could do to make it work.

However this is (apparently) your companies network and changes to IP network numbers and routing should only be carried out by people who have a full understanding of exactly what it is they are doing, the risks of getting it wrong are significant, the events of last weekend are one example.

So speak to your network administrators and explain what it is you want to do.

i have spoken to my companies IT and they have given me admin rites to the network that in turn open up my laptop for some modifications, everything is working perfectly now, apparently i needed to add the correct admin password in order to access outside networks and my pc was locked to the local network, i dont fully understand what the IT meant but after removing the admin password the entire prototype worked perfectly, we have actualy started large scale production now with a final finnished unit, Protocol converter CANBUS to MADBUS TCP/IP and RTU aswel as full CANBUS Ethernet support.

Thanks to those who took time to help me