Ethernet Help - please

Hi,

Spent the evening testing out a Ethernet Shield on my Uno and now stuck despite much reading and trying.

I initially ran the Example Ethernet Web Server on my local network with success.

Since then I have been trying to connect via my VM Superhub (mk1) to my HTC phone.

I've followed James Bruces modifications to this code by adding the gateway and subnet parameters and changing the server to 8081. Have also create the Predefined rule for the Arduino on the SuperHub as that site shows. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/give-your-arduino-project-its-own-mini-webserver-with-an-ethernet-shield/

When I type and enter the public IP address into the HTC the Ethernet shields RX light flickers a little, and the HTC produces a new screen but no data. Its as if its trying to get though to the right place but something not quiet in agreement.

Afraid I'm a total novice to Ethernet so any help appreciated.

(thought there would have been a fair few folk using the Ethernet Shield on the VM network here in the UK..?)

Is the HTC connected to the wifi on the superhub or going through the provider's data connection?

If the HTC is connected to the superhub, you may have problems connecting to the Arduino using the public IP without installing a hairpin nat.

SurferTim: Is the HTC connected to the wifi on the superhub or going through the provider's data connection?

If the HTC is connected to the superhub, you may have problems connecting to the Arduino using the public IP without installing a hairpin nat.

Hi,

No, the HTC is going out though the providers data connection using the inbuilt internet browser.

Have you tried to access the Arduino from a computer on the internet? I do not have experience with that make of router, so I can't be much help there.

Hi,

Thanks, will get someone external to try my address and see if that works ok

Edit - in the cold light of day have realised a couple of errors I had made in setting up the modem port forwarding /addressing - now got though to the HTC with that code example sending over the analogue values with no problem which is the kind of thing I'm wanting to do from my main project.

One question I'm sure you can help as I'm really dumb regarding routers etc; now I have enabled port forwarding for the Arduino ( no firewall setting changed on the router) assume I have in no way made my PCs open to attack if I leave the arduinos port forwarding enabled all the time ?

Thanks

Your computers should not be at risk if you opened just that one private IP address to the Arduino.