Ethernet or Wifi shield?

I'm kind of knew in the Arduino wolrd, and I'd like to ask for some guidance here. What are the pros and cons os the Ethernet and de Wireless shield? Which are the basic differences? What is better for residencial automotion? Thanks a lot, folks!

You are really comparing apples with oranges. An ethernet requires a cable connection and a WiFi doesn't. The ultimate practicality of your system depends more or less on the cabling costs and installation issues.

I understand there is no "official" WiFi board or support and third party devices are expensive, and apparently difficult to use.

One solution is to develop your system with an ethernet shield and then plug that into a WiFi repeater. This combination is a lot cheaper than a WiFi shield, involves no extra programming on the Arduino, and you probably get an SD card slot thrown in as well.

There are also cheap options that are away from both of the above, like an NRF24 network.

Nick_Pyner:
There are also cheap options that are away from both of the above, like an NRF24 network.

Or just do WiFi over nRF24. Simpler programming, great cost effectiveness if connecting multiple projects through a RFX gateway, and more powerful than either Ethernet shield or WiFi shield.

More links in my sig.