Ethernet shield and a test set up

HELP!! What does this mean? "IP was not declared in this scope " And what do I do about it?

Next: Is there a test script for this device?

Another question. What does the stop button in the IDE do? If I have a script running. I can't make it stop by clicking. Am I missing something here?

Thanks, LEE

The stop button cancels the compile. Nothing in the IDE “stops” a running sketch.

As for the compile error, make sure the library is in the right place.

Thanks James, the info. How do you stop a program thats running on the board?

The script I was using was from the examples tab “Pachube sensor client”. These files where at the top “#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>” should there be more?

Also, is there a listing of the error messages in the IDE? I looked before the post, but no luck.

I found this note at the top of the listing: Circuit:

• Analog sensor attached to analog in 0 (This I get!)

• Ethernet shield attached to pins 10, 11, 12, 13 (This I don’t get) The thing Just plugs in on top of the other board. Does it not?

Thank you for the help, LEE

How do you stop a program thats running on the board?

Turn the power off.

Also, is there a listing of the error messages in the IDE?

The messages are quite obvious. Why would they need to be listed anywhere.

Well, they are after you’ve seen them a few hundred times. In your case, the compiler is telling you that you are referencing a name, IP, that is not in scope where you reference it.

We can’t tell what changes you have made to the sketch you are trying to compile (even inadvertently), so posting where you got the sketch, rather than the sketch, is a waste of time.

The thing Just plugs in on top of the other board. Does it not?

It does, but all those pins are not just for alignment purposes.

My Arduino ethernet shield has a MAC address like this (90-A2-DA-00-27-C8) The script wants it like below.

Is there a converter for this?

// assign a MAC address for the ethernet controller. // fill in your address here: byte mac[] = { 0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED}; // assign an IP address for the controller: byte ip[] = { 192,169,1,20 }; byte gateway[] = { 192,168,1,1}; byte subnet[] = { 255, 255, 255, 0 };

LEE

"0x" is the C-notation for numbers in HEX. MAC Addresses are already in HEX. So your line will read:

byte mac[] = {0x90,0xA2,0xDA,0x00,0x27,0xC8};

Thanks James, I looked everywhere on this. I am on my way to buy a book on processing. Do I also need a book on C? If so do you have a recommendation?

I thank you for the concise answer, LEE

Do I also need a book on C?

For Arduino programming, you want a book on ANSI C. It is plain vanilla C. If you get something on a more modern variant (C++, Obj-C, or C#) you'll get lost in details that aren't relevant.

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-ANSI-Stephen-G-Kochan/dp/0672303396/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291161388&sr=8-1

Thanks James, I ordered one today.