Ethernet Shield + Database

Hello Every one .I have a beginner's question.I want to store information from the Arduino Ethernet shield to a database that will be on a Computer or server in the same local network(not to a hosted web site).Could any one tell me how to do that.Many Thanks.

One way is to host a web page on the target computer, use the Arduino as a client (see the Ethernet example sketches) and GET or POST from it. A CGI page in your language of choice can grab the data and put it into the database.

Or connect the Arduino to the server on a serial line, and have a program on the server that reads the serial line and inserts into db.

wildbill:
One way is to host a web page on the target computer, use the Arduino as a client (see the Ethernet example sketches) and GET or POST from it. A CGI page in your language of choice can grab the data and put it into the database.

Many Thanks i got the idea but i want to ask another question did you mean by hosting a web page on the target computer to be accessed through the internet .(I ask this question because i want every thing to run on a local network without using the internet).

florinc:
Or connect the Arduino to the server on a serial line, and have a program on the server that reads the serial line and inserts into db.

Thank you so much I will think about this solution if i fail to use the Ethernet shield Is there any existing example or program which do that or i will build it my self

aabdelrahman_12:

wildbill:

Many Thanks i got the idea but i want to ask another question did you mean by hosting a web page on the target computer to be accessed through the internet .(I ask this question because i want every thing to run on a local network without using the internet).

By "hosting a web page" he is meaning that you will use a local computer and install a web server like Apache with MySQL on it. The web page is accessible to any system on the same network by entering the IP address of the system into the browser. If you want to make it available to the internet it would be doable but requires routing.

02660:

aabdelrahman_12:

wildbill:

By "hosting a web page" he is meaning that you will use a local computer and install a web server like Apache with MySQL on it. The web page is accessible to any system on the same network by entering the IP address of the system into the browser. If you want to make it available to the internet it would be doable but requires routing.

THANK You so much.