Ethernet shield don`t get an ip

Hi everybody, I am new here! First of all take my Great thank, Arduino project is inspiring one.

But I have a problem with Arduino Ethernet Shield v1.1, so seek for help. Sorry me if my English is not good. I use example "DHCP Chat Server" from Arduino IDE v1.05. My router is configured for DHCP, so it must give IP to any Ethernet device, but my Arduino shield don`t get one and get stuck on line "if (Ethernet.begin(mac) == 0)". Last message in monitor is "Trying to get an IP address using DHCP".

Any ideas?

The standard Arduino ethernet library does not work with the ENC28J60 ethernet IC. It requires the Wiznet W5100.

Thank you.

SurferTim: It requires the Wiznet W5100.

All it takes to use enc28j60 shields with the standard Ethernet-API is the right library : https://github.com/ntruchsess/arduino_uip

• Norbert

All it takes to use enc28j60 shields with the standard Ethernet-API is the right library

You mean a replacement library that happens to use the same names as the standard Ethernet library. That is NOT the standard Ethernet library, then, and that library won't work with the W5x00 chips.

PaulS:

All it takes to use enc28j60 shields

That is NOT the standard Ethernet library[…]won’t work with the W5x00 chips.

Sure, it’s not the standard library and it ain’t work with W5x00. I never said it would, it’s for enc28j60 and by using the term ‘standard Ethernet API’ I understand the ‘I’ in API stands for 'I’nterface not for 'I’mplementation, does it?
My UIPEthernet-library inherits from the same abstract classes (that are Server, Client and UDP) as the standard (W5x00)-library does, so it actually is the same API, not just the same names.

But I just see that I didn’t even respond to the thread-openers question at all by responding to the first response (from SurferTim) that mentioned the enc28j60. As FreeBorn_rus sayes he has a ‘Arduino Ethernet Shield v1.1’ and that should be a W5100 shield. I should pay more attention when reading the forum, sorry if that caused confusion…

• Norbert

ntruchsess: But I just see that I didn't even respond to the thread-openers question at all by responding to the first response (from SurferTim) that mentioned the enc28j60. As FreeBorn_rus sayes he has a 'Arduino Ethernet Shield v1.1' and that should be a W5100 shield. I should pay more attention when reading the forum, sorry if that caused confusion...

• Norbert

Arduino Ethernet Shield v1.1 should be a w5100 by the sound of it, but it is a ENC28j60. A quick Google search will show that.

SurferTim: Arduino Ethernet Shield v1.1 should be a w5100 by the sound of it, but it is a ENC28j60. A quick Google search will show that.

Thank you for clarifying ;-)

• Norbert