Ethernet Shield + Ethercard library Examples not running as expected: ⸮a⸮⸮⸮⸮

I have followed the instructions of an online tutorial about how to use the Ethernet shield with my Arduino Uno. I have the exact same components as described in that tutorial.

Tutorial: How to Connect the ENC28J60 to an Arduino - Hackster.io

Furthermore I have included all libraries that are required.
Unfortunately none of the examples of the Ethercard library seem to be working as they should.

In all cases I only see weird output on the serial monitor. For Example: ⸮a⸮⸮⸮⸮

Could somebody give me a hint what I might be doing wrong? May my hardware be fautlty?
My Arduino Uno is working perfectly fine as I had no troubles using it by itself so far.
I am quite new to all of this, so please be gentle if I may be making a beginners mistake.

Could somebody give me a hint what I might be doing wrong?

You are trying to save a few pennies by using difficult to connect/use hardware. For your first foray into ethernet connections, spend the money for a real ethernet shield (with a W5100 to W500 chip).

PaulS:
You are trying to save a few pennies by using difficult to connect/use hardware. For your first foray into ethernet connections, spend the money for a real ethernet shield (with a W5100 to W500 chip).

Thank you for your answer!

I am simply trying to work with what I have at the moment. Are you telling me there is no solution to my problem?

"I am simply trying to work with what I have at the moment. Are you telling me there is no solution to my problem?"

Use the forum Google search function in the upper right of this page to search for enc28j60 and similar key words. You will probably find many previous project discussions and code using these devices.