ethernet shield for a beginner...

Hello,

I just got an ethernet shield and I am really excited with all the possible functions. The main thing I want to use it for is to control actuators from a web form.

I have been getting frustrated because I haven't been able to find any tutorials. I guess I am looking for simple directions that explain how to use it. The few examples that I have found don't have comment lines that explain what is going on, and it is really hard for me to understand. I have researched the internet up and down for more documentation, but I haven't found much.

I am decent with c++ (much more proficient with basic, recently made the switch to arduino from basic stamp). Any suggestions on how and where to learn about this would be greatly appreciated...

I found this: http://community.pachube.com/node/112#inputoutput but I want something more custom... and it still doesn't really explain what is going on behind the scenes.

Thanks for the help rr

Do you have the version with the Wiznet module? Or with the Xport?

There are links to some info and examples on Lady Ada's site.

Ran

I have the wiznet module...

Honestly ive been having the same problem finding good help on running the wiznet module (im not a fan of the shield concept). I understand the concept of running a static webpage, but have not found anyone that explains all the GETs and POSTs that one needs to make a static webpage turn into something useful. My best advice to you (other than this call for help) is to just read thru all the code you can posted on this forum relating to the ethernet shield. Ive been picking up a few things and have even found a few libraries that might help: webduino and ethernet2(shrinks size of sketches). Hopefully someone here can help us both out

Make that three of us. The documentation for the W5100 is very sparse. I would be interested to know about any texts or other material that goes into the nuts and bolts.

The webduino framework is definitely a good starting point for app development.

Also, check out this post about some problems people have encountered with the Client code in the standard Ethernet library, and a replacement that seems to cure them.

It’s not instantly clear how the GET and POST operations work, but the simple examples can serve as a starting point for deriving your own code.

One shortfall the author has already noted is that the GET code currently doesn’t allow URL parameters, which makes a lot of query and control applications very difficult. I’ve discussed this with him in email, and I’m going to develop a new version of the processRequest method that will let your code read and process them. That should be ready for beta testing in a couple or three days. Drop me a private message or email if you’d like to be a guinea pig.

Finally, if you’re planning a non-trivial application, it’s likely that you’re going to need to upgrade to an ATMega328: even the simple examples provided with the webduino library can top 10K. Now that I’ve got mine :wink: I can reveal that Modern Device is one of the few dealers on the planet who hasn’t run out of them (at least as of last week) and has great prices and service. Check out his RBBB, too: it’s a great way to cheaply and easily put an Arduino core in a gadget when you don’t need to plug in a shield.

Ran

The approach I took with the "dispatch" based handler used in Flashduino was to use URLs of the form http://example.com/article/27 rather than http://example.com/?article=27.

It's not really extracted out into a library yet but might be of use.

--Phil.