Ethernet Shield MAC address sticker

I just want to make sure I have this correct. I have a newer Ethernet Shield with a MAC address sticker on the bottom of it. Is the MAC address hard coded in the W5100 at all, or is this just simply a sticker with a suggested address? It would be great if it was hard coded and I could just read in the MAC from the shield as I'm going to be assembling several devices and would like to avoid having to change the MAC in my code for every single new device I set up. But in my testing it appears that there is no hard coded MAC whatsoever.

Is the MAC address hard coded in the W5100 at all,

No, it is not.

It would be great if it was hard coded and I could just read in the MAC from the shield as I'm going to be assembling several devices and would like to avoid having to change the MAC in my code for every single new device I set up.

Create two sketches.

One you modify for each device. That sketch stores the MAC address in EEPROM.

The other reads the MAC address from EEPROM, and uses it. That sketch can then be loaded on any device, with no knowledge of the actual address.

PaulS:
Create two sketches.

One you modify for each device. That sketch stores the MAC address in EEPROM.

The other reads the MAC address from EEPROM, and uses it. That sketch can then be loaded on any device, with no knowledge of the actual address.

Not a bad idea. Thanks!