Ethernet shield with USB wifi dongle?

Hi! I have an Arduino UNO R3 and I want to get it connected to my laptop, but my friend told me that he does it this way:
Arduino connected to ethernet shield
Ethernet shield to a router (via the LAN port)
Router wirelessly connected to my laptop

The router he uses, takes 9v and is heavier than a dongle.

So, what I want to know is that, whether I can use a USB wifi dongle instead of the bulky router?
If not a USB dongle, than anything that takes less space and less power will do.

I'm not sure what your objective is, but I don't see much point in using WiFi at all, unless you want to connect to the Internet. If you already have have an Ethernet card, you might get some benefit in using a mini WiFi repeater. It is more versatile and requires no extra coding.

If you just want to talk to a local laptop wirelessly, you might consider using bluetooth, thereby getting rid of all WiFi, routers, and any space and power problems that you might feel you have.

Er, like, you already need the router to get internet access...

If you're just doing point-to-point, can connect using crossover cable between ethernet shield and the laptop you want it to talk on.

If what you want is wireless communication, get a wifi shield and you can have the laptop or the arduino act as the access point (I know the ESP8266-based solutions can do AP - I suspect most can)

Nick_Pyner:
I'm not sure what your objective is, but I don't see much point in using WiFi at all, unless you want to connect to the Internet. If you already have have an Ethernet card, you might get some benefit in using a mini WiFi repeater. It is more versatile and requires no extra coding.

If you just want to talk to a local laptop wirelessly, you might consider using bluetooth, thereby getting rid of all WiFi, routers, and any space and power problems that you might feel you have.

Well, my objective is to make a robot that takes data from some sensors and display it on my browser, also my browser will have some controls to move my bot. My plan is to first try it on WLAN only and if it's possible free of cost, then try on internet.

Well, if I can get browser pages through Bluetooth, then can you tell me how to do that? (maybe Bluetooth tethering or something)
I have hc-05 and I want image files as well (if possible)

Can I use this with the Ethernet shield?:

http://www.amazon.in/Magideal-Female-Adapter-Network-Ethernet/dp/B01IKY8JNC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488117274&sr=8-3&keywords=lan+to+wifi

And my USB wifi dongle on the other end?

Can you please tell me which ESP8266 to use.

If you still want to use the Uno then you might consider getting an ESP8266 shield. This makes connecting and powering the ESP8266 a little easier, though many beginners still seem to find this extremely difficult. There are 3 shields I know of:

• Sparkfun - requires soldering the headers
  • DOIT (blue 2 position DIP switch) - typically comes with a proprietary firmware, meaning you would need to flash it with the AT firmware to use most of the commonly available example code and libraries.
  • “elecshop.ml” (red 4 position DIP switch) - this is the shield I recommend because it has the headers soldered presoldered, it’s cheap (<$8 USD including shipping), and it comes with AT firmware installed

There is a standalone board called D1 or D1 R2 that is frequently advertised as a shield but it is not a shield.

If you want to use the ESP8266 instead of the Uno then I recommend the D1 Mini, which sells for around $3 USD w/ free shipping.