Ethernet Startup

I cannot find any information on starting up my new Ethernet Arduino.
Where to look...

Look at the Ethernet examples in the IDE.

By “starting up” do you mean “getting started” as in running your first program?
What OS are you running?

Have you looked at eth001/eth001 .ino ?

Be advised that as of 1.01, LED_BUILTIN is incorrectly included via pins.arduino.h as 13, it should be 9!

More basic than that.
Reading the docs.( Help | Getting Started) it tells me that I can select my board (Tools | Board | Arduino Ethernet) and then run the Blink demo. What I get is an error message:

Binary sketch size: 1,084 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Since this is not a USB device I have no drivers to install - right?

What next boss.

I expected that since I selected Ethernet that the software would search for the boards IP address but I don't think it is.
Also - Why does the software say (at the bottom ) Arduino Ethernet onf COM1? Com1 is a physical port on this machine.
Thanks..... Jim

The Arduino-Ethernet requires a FTDI-cable (or something similar) to program it.

It cannot be programmed over Ethernet.

James - Are there no docs on how to setup and use the Ethernet Arduino? How do I get its IP address for example?

It won't have an IP address, until you upload a sketch that contains code to assign it one, either manually, or via DHCP.

As James said, you need an FTDI board, that plugs in to the six pins on the end of the board. Then you can upload sketches. Something like http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716 will do the job.

The Arduino Ethernet is used the same way as a regular Arduino with an Ethernet shield on. Look under Ethernet Library on http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/HomePage for examples.

Why does the software say (at the bottom ) Arduino Ethernet onf COM1?

Because the FTDI board will appear as a serial port when connected to the PC.

What OS (Operating system) are you using to run the IDE?

Graphicaly as dxw00d said:(to program the arduino board)

computer                      =          RJ45
running }--USB--FTDI-cable--[ = ethernet  [_]==ethernet=cable===
IDE                           =  board

The
** ** =** **
represent 6 inline pins on the arduino ethernet board

The blink.ino uses arduino digital pin 13 for pinMode, digitalWrite which, for the Arduino ethernet board should be 9!

James-Brown:
Are there no docs on how to setup and use the Ethernet Arduino?

The section on "Programming" talks about how it works differently from other Arduino boards.

James-Brown:
How do I get its IP address for example?

Again, you can't program over Ethernet. The Ethernet port is for use by sketches.

Starting to make sense now. Thanks for the information.
Regards... Jim :grin: