Ethernet Troubles : (

Hello, friends!

So we're trying to use an ethernet cable to communicate between our computer and our arduino. We have an ethernet shield and are trying to run the example ethernet code from arduino, but every time, we get the message "Failed to configure Ethernet using DHCP" in our serial monitor. Any advice?

Thanks!

Do you need a crossover Ethernet cable for this application?

ieee488: Do you need a crossover Ethernet cable for this application?

I think that may be our problem. We are currently just using a straight ethernet cable. We're looking into converting it to a crossover.

I wonder if this is related to the problems I've been having for some time.... For me, Ethernet works only sometimes. Often as not, the PC simply does not find the Arduino. If I just walk away, they will usually connect, eventually. It may take a few seconds, it may take an hour. But, once connected, all works perfectly. After re-starting the Arduino, it's a cr@p-shoot whether the Ethernet will be functional or not. I've tried multiple PCs, multiple Arduinos (Dues), multiple Ethernet shields, both straight and cross-over Ethernet cables, and ALL behave exactly the same.

Regards, Ray L.

sciencerulez: So we're trying to use an ethernet cable to communicate between our computer and our arduino.

Normally, a home LAN configuration looks like that:

Your DSL/Internet provider ==> your router ==> your devices (PCs, Internet-TV, Arduino-Ethernet etc.)

All your Internet devices are normally connected to your router (as your PC is). And you also should connect your Arduino/Ethernet-Shield to your router.

What is your problem? Don't you have a LAN router? Or does your router have only one single LAN outlet to connect a single PC?

but every time, we get the message "Failed to configure Ethernet using DHCP" in our serial monitor. Any advice?

What part of your computer, ISP, router, etc. is supposed to be generating the DHCP lease?

Connect your Arduino directly to the router. Configure the router to assign the Arduino the same IP address every time. Use that IP address in the code on the Arduino.

sciencerulez wrote "we get the message "Failed to configure Ethernet using DHCP"".

Many routers provide DHCP services. Many PCs do not. If the shield depends upon DHCP, then connecting the shield directly to a PC may be problematic.

Basically, I am saying: Do what PaulS said.