Ethernet2.h no such file or directory

Ive got a new arduino ethernet2 shield Im trying to hook up, I downloaded the Ethernet2 library, from the github repo at

I go to compile one of the demo sketches, but I always get a response of

WebServer.ino:19:23: fatal error: Ethernet2.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

Ive checked and double checked, my sketchbook folder has a folder under /sketchbook/libraries/Ethernet2/src/

and that folder definitely contains a file called Ethernet2.h

My IDE version is 2:1.05 on Ubuntu Linux

What gives?

One other odd thing that seems to be happening, I had to modify the libraries names from Ethernet2-1.0.4.zip to just Ethernet2, because the IDE complains about library names containing dashes.

I imported the renamed library, all of the example files from it show up where they should, but when I go to import the library from the IDE dialog (ie sketch->import library->Ethernet2) instead of putting an include in my file like it normally does, the IDE just puts in a blank line

use the Ethernet library from Library Manager

Juraj:

Isnt that Ethernet1, which wont be compatible with my W5500 based board?

Juraj:

Yeah I just checked, that wont work with an Ethernet2 shield, setup hangs at Ethernet.begin()

fa0:
Ive checked and double checked, my sketchbook folder has a folder under /sketchbook/libraries/Ethernet2/src/

and that folder definitely contains a file called Ethernet2.h

fa0:
One other odd thing that seems to be happening, I had to modify the libraries names from Ethernet2-1.0.4.zip to just Ethernet2, because the IDE complains about library names containing dashes.

fa0:
setup hangs at Ethernet.begin()

The cause of all these problems is you're using an extremely outdated version of the Arduino IDE:

fa0:
My IDE version is 2:1.05 on Ubuntu Linux

In the 7 years since Arduino IDE 1.0.5 was released, a huge amount of development has been done on the Arduino IDE, including:

When you use "apt install arduino" to install the Arduino IDE, you get this horribly outdated version. Please always download the IDE from the downloads page:

pert:
The cause of all these problems is you're using an extremely outdated version of the Arduino IDE:
In the 7 years since Arduino IDE 1.0.5 was released, a huge amount of development has been done on the Arduino IDE, including:

When you use "apt install arduino" to install the Arduino IDE, you get this horribly outdated version. Please always download the IDE from the downloads page:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Yup, just did that, the new version with library manager works flawlessly. Thank you so much

I know the mainline package sources are never going to be bleeding edge, but this is ridiculous. If theyre gonna have an arduino package, they should update it once a decade or so

Yeah, that outdated package has caused a lot of problems. It's not a matter of nobody bothering to update it. There are some issues that have blocked it from being updated that I don't fully understand.