Events counter

Hello everyone! I would like to count some events in my day, in the most invisible way possible, an app might be enough, but in a business meeting I can't use my smartphone.
I also need to monitor how long these events last, so the button will serve as the start and stop of a stopwatch

I thought of a bracelet that with a button or a movement increases the count of a variable.

pro: I can also use it in a business meeting
against: it is difficult to put so much hardware in a bracelet:

• microcontroller
  • accelerometer or button
  • bluetooth or other system to view data on a computer
  • vibration (to warn me that the movement I chose was detected)
  • memory to save measurements
  • battery

This is the problem, how would you solve it?
Would you also use a bracelet or something else?

Just use smart watch, genius :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3Dgeo:
Just use smart watch, genius :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

the smartwatch I own (xiaomi bip) does not allow to create custom apps.
Smartwatches that allow it often cost a lot

iacoposk8:
I thought of a bracelet that with a button or a movement increases the count of a variable.

If a button or a shake increments a count it cannot also record what the event is. If all you want is a counter then there are simple devices that staff at an entrance use to count people entering a venue. One click for each person. It will easily fit in a pocket and you can check the number after the meeting.

However the mind boggles at what you want to count during a meeting. I suspect your boss expects you to give your full attention to the meeting :slight_smile:

...R

Robin2:
If a button or a shake increments a count it cannot also record what the event is. If all you want is a counter then there are simple devices that staff at an entrance use to count people entering a venue. One click for each person. It will easily fit in a pocket and you can check the number after the meeting.

right! there is another detail, I want to count also how long it lasts, so the button or the movement will indicate the beginning and the end of the event

Robin2:
However the mind boggles at what you want to count during a meeting. I suspect your boss expects you to give your full attention to the meeting :slight_smile:

…R

I am concentrated, counting the bullshit that he said: D

iacoposk8:
the smartwatch I own (xiaomi bip) does not allow to create custom apps.
Smartwatches that allow it often cost a lot

If you are not good at coding you will spend way more time and effort trying tom make it compared to price of commercial watch that will do what you want. I’m not including hardware design and troubleshooting it… And I can tell that your knowledge isn’t that great, cos you didn’t even bother googling “Arduino smart watch”.
Just buy a better watch :smiley:

iacoposk8:
I am concentrated, counting the bullshit that he said: D

If that is even a semi-serious comment then I reckon the correct response is to get another job.

Counting BS is so pointless (and I have heard a lot of it in my time).

...R

Robin2:
If that is even a semi-serious comment then I reckon the correct response is to get another job.

Counting BS is so pointless (and I have heard a lot of it in my time).

…R

this was a joke

3Dgeo:
If you are not good at coding you will spend way more time and effort trying tom make it compared to price of commercial watch that will do what you want. I'm not including hardware design and troubleshooting it... And I can tell that your knowledge isn't that great, cos you didn't even bother googling "Arduino smart watch".
Just buy a better watch :smiley:

my question is not about how to do it, but if better alternatives come to mind.
I bought my smarwatch before having this need, so I didn't search a smartwatch with any API to allow me to create custom apps

iacoposk8:
I bought my smarwatch before having this need, so I didn't search a smartwatch with any API to allow me to create custom apps

Question is how much time and effort you are willing to put in your problem solving. If it's lees than at least few weeks and If your coding and hardware design skills are none to poor – don't even bother. You may get working breadboard prototype eventually, but jump from breadboard to actual stable and durable product is a long journey. Don't kill the messenger...

iacoposk8:
this was a joke

Fair enough.

But then please provide more information about "right! there is another detail, I want to count also how long it lasts, so the button or the movement will indicate the beginning and the end of the event".

Because the part of the design that is missing for me is how you "name" the event that you want to time without using a smartphone or a smart-watch. And if you can use a phone or a watch to name the event then I can't see how it cannot also be used to time the event.

...R

3Dgeo:
Question is how much time and effort you are willing to put in your problem solving. If it's lees than at least few weeks and If your coding and hardware design skills are none to poor – don't even bother. You may get working breadboard prototype eventually, but jump from breadboard to actual stable and durable product is a long journey. Don't kill the messenger...

for me it's a hobby, I'm a developer, so the coding part I can solve, on the hardware side I'm an amateur, so time is not a problem.

Robin2:
Fair enough.

But then please provide more information about "right! there is another detail, I want to count also how long it lasts, so the button or the movement will indicate the beginning and the end of the event".

Because the part of the design that is missing for me is how you "name" the event that you want to time without using a smartphone or a smart-watch. And if you can use a phone or a watch to name the event then I can't see how it cannot also be used to time the event.

...R

the event is only one, so I don't have to label it but just measure it, an example of output could be:
start:30/08/2019-09:45:51
stop:30/08/2019-09:47:42
start:30/08/2019-10:15:33
stop:30/08/2019-10:16:21
start:30/08/2019-11:22:52
stop:30/08/2019-11:26:11

in the future I could indicate
single click: event a
double click: event b
triple click: event c
etc...

iacoposk8:
for me it's a hobby, I'm a developer, so the coding part I can solve, on the hardware side I'm an amateur, so time is not a problem.

OK, I see that your not familiar with google, I know that internet is a scary place, let me help you:

iacoposk8:

OK, I see that your not familiar with reading, but i can't help you :smiley:
but thank you anyway

I wonder what this proposed gadget will really be used for? Why does it need to be secret?

Is it something anti-social (or worse)?

...R

A Timex, notepad and a pen/pencil.

Time honored and proven effective.

Robin2:
I wonder what this proposed gadget will really be used for? Why does it need to be secret?

Is it something anti-social (or worse)?

...R

no absolutely, I want to monitor when my mind behaves in a certain way and for how much.

DangerToMyself:
A Timex, notepad and a pen/pencil.

Time honored and proven effective.

TImex has this function? do you talk about the stopwatch?

iacoposk8:
no absolutely, I want to monitor when my mind behaves in a certain way and for how much.

So, let’s accept that you want to monitor something personal about yourself without your colleagues being aware of what you are doing.

I can see that you may not wish to share personal details with us, so it would help if you could describe the project with a suitable analogy which would allow us to talk about the project in more specific language.

A possible analogy that occurs to me is monitoring how often different breeds of dog stop to sniff at things along the path where they are being taken for a walk. One would like to record the type of dog, the number of times it stops along a specific 100m length of path and for how long it stops on each occasion. One would like to have an unobtrusive recording device for while one is on a “field trip”. But all the data would be uploaded to a PC later for full analysis and comparison with data collected on previous occasions.

If that is an unreasonable analogy then please provide a more suitable one.

If it is reasonable then we can focus on what would be needed to make an unobtrusive data collection system. (I do realize that dog watching would probably not require a secret device - but let’s pretend).

…R

Robin2:
So, let's accept that you want to monitor something personal about yourself without your colleagues being aware of what you are doing.

I can see that you may not wish to share personal details with us, so it would help if you could describe the project with a suitable analogy which would allow us to talk about the project in more specific language.

A possible analogy that occurs to me is monitoring how often different breeds of dog stop to sniff at things along the path where they are being taken for a walk. One would like to record the type of dog, the number of times it stops along a specific 100m length of path and for how long it stops on each occasion. One would like to have an unobtrusive recording device for while one is on a "field trip". But all the data would be uploaded to a PC later for full analysis and comparison with data collected on previous occasions.

If that is an unreasonable analogy then please provide a more suitable one.

If it is reasonable then we can focus on what would be needed to make an unobtrusive data collection system. (I do realize that dog watching would probably not require a secret device - but let's pretend).

...R

this analogy is perfect!

a user in private message recommended something like this to me:

I liked it as an idea because it allows you to divide the hardware in two, a very small part (the remote control) and the other potentially could be bigger and save me the problems of miniaturization.

This suggestion gave me a new insight: which wireless transmission methods exist?
radio, infrared, bluetooth, wifi, nfc, which others exist?