Example 04.Communication - Graph

This concerns a sketch included under Examples. My question concerns a block of code at the end of the final loop bracket in the sketch cited in the title. It looks like a PGP key to me. The first line is:

/* Max/MSP v5 patch for this example

Before I post the whole ugly block, can I ask if the sketch is the same on the Arduino IDE applications for Windows, Apple, and Linux? I am using the web editor only, and can't compare.
The sketch works, and the block of code (or whatever) is between comments, but I am curious why it is in the sketch.

Max/MSP is some sort of application that can receive the output from the Arduino and do something with it. That patch is used to configure Max/MSP for this. There is more information here:

There is more information on Max/MSP here:

brianeo:
can I ask if the sketch is the same on the Arduino IDE applications for Windows, Apple, and Linux?

Yes, it's the same on any OS or IDE.

I was not paying attention when I noted that the serial monitor was printing. It is indeed printing, but it is supposed to be drawing a line graph, per the sketch's title. All I see is numbers.
When I had a Windows desktop version of the IDE available I did a graphing serial monitor sketch successfully. I am sorry to have to say it appears to this is a problem with either the sketch, or the web editor. Is there a serial monitor graph example that has been confirmed to work with the web editor?
In the meantime, I searched the forum posts. There's one that appears to address my issue, but doesn't solve it. It includes part of the actual code represented by that block of hash. This is it: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=42450.0.

brianeo:
All I see is numbers.

If you read the comment in the sketch:

You can use the Arduino serial monitor to view the sent data, or it can
be read by Processing, PD, Max/MSP, or any other program capable of reading
data from a serial port. The Processing code below graphs the data received
so you can see the value of the analog input changing over time.

The numbers you see are the data. The Serial Monitor has no way of printing a line graph. If you want a graph then you need to run an application that can display that data as a graph.

brianeo:
When I had a Windows desktop version of the IDE available I did a graphing serial monitor sketch successfully.

More likely you were using the Serial Plotter, a feature not available with the Arduino Web Editor.

If you don’t need real-time graphing you can also copy the data displayed in the Serial Monitor and paste it into a spreadsheet then generate a chart from that sheet.

I am a recent convert to PLX-DAQ V2 from Net Devil.

Very easy to setup and use for real time graphs into excel.

brianeo:
There's one that appears to address my issue, but doesn't solve it. It includes part of the actual code represented by that block of hash. This is it: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=42450.0.

The issue in that thread is the person assumed that the Arduino IDE would read the sketch and somehow display a graph. Once they understood that they needed to install Processing and run the Processing code from the comment in the sketch in Processing to receive the data from the Arduino and graph it their problem was solved.