Examples of popular libraries

Could someone give me examples of great and useful libraries? I would love to create a library but I need some role models.

nathan_ramanathan:
Could someone give me examples of great and useful libraries? I would love to create a library but I need some role models.

British Library.
Library of Congress.
They've got a few centuries start on you though.

Pretty much every library is great and useful to the author of the library, so…
Google “create arduino library” for lots of tutorials on creating your own library.

Which editor do you use?

I use Geany, but i want something similar to Arduino IDE.

If I don't use the IDE, I use Programmers Notepad 2 when writing libraries. No reason other than it is what I am used to and don't feel the need for anything different.

Here are the GitHub repositories tagged with the "arduino-library" topic that have the most stars:

nathan_ramanathan:
Which editor do you use?

Does it matter? A library does not depend on an editor. If you currently write your code in geany, continue doing that; if you currently write your code in the IDE, continue doing that.

I'm a sucker for punishment and when I have a chance to develop on Unix based systems, I use vi 8) It's the first editor that I ever learned.

nathan_ramanathan:
Which editor do you use?

I use Geany in preference to the Arduino IDE as I like to use the same tool for all my programming.

I have written a simple Python program to compile and upload using the command-line IDE. The Python program converts relative references to absolute references.

...R

Look at the TMRh20 RF24 library library and the AccelStepper library for examples of good library documentation.

A library is not much use to anyone unless it has good documentation. Indeed I suggest you write the documentation first and then write code to implement it.

Writing a tutorial about how to do some task with an Arduino can be just as useful as creating a new library.

...R

Could someone give me examples of great and useful libraries?

The Adafruit libraries are pretty good, and extensive. https://github.com/search?p=2&q=org%3Aadafruit+arduino+library&type=Repositories&utf8=✓

I'll especially recommend their "neopixel library"