Excel to TFT with UTFT

Does anyone know how to interface excel to a mega250 which drives a 7" glcd? I want to be able to type characaters into excel that will print to to a glcd.

I want to be able to type characaters into excel that will print to to a glcd.

Why? Excel does not connect to the Serial port. Using Excel as a user interface is an abomination. Even Microsoft would be appalled.

You can export your excel file to csv. It's comma and carriage return delimited. Have the arduino parse that file through an sd card or whatever.

LOL. Since excel is widely used it would be advantageous to the arduino community to have the capability to display spreadsheet entries to a GLCD. If an arduino can't do it is there another method?

There may be, but it doesn't sound a good application anyway, and likely hard to find. Indeed it sounds like you are just typing away at a keyboard and Arduino is nothing more than an essentially redundant dumb repeater.

In concept, you seem to want to use Excel as a device to feed Arduino but I submit it would be more appropriate to use Arduino as device to feed Excel.

If an arduino can't do it is there another method?

The Arduino CAN display the data on an LCD. It can't read a file on another computer, regardless of what kind of file it is.

So, you need some kind of application on the PC that can read an Excel file, talk to the serial port that the Arduino listens to, AND display a GUI. That application is NOT Excel.

randee01:
Does anyone know how to interface excel to a mega250 which drives a 7" glcd? I want to be able to type characaters into excel that will print to to a glcd.

It can be done, although I advise not to do so and the COMx port integration is awkward. Generally, getting data from the Arduino directly into Excel is a piece-of-cake using HID: via V-USB, Leonardo, or a serial ‘wedge’ which attaches to the COMx port and sends the data to any application by simulated keystroke… remember the ol’ days of serial barcode scanners?

The ‘wedge’ can be built with almost any programming language, but C# and VBA are likely contenders for Windows. C# example

Getting the Excel data back to the Arduino via serial is a bit more complex because you will need to hook into Excel to pull the cell data after update and send over COMx. Again it can be done with VBA or custom code.

If you just have a situation where you need Arduino in Excel, the Leonardo HID or Trinket, or Pro Trinket can fit the bill. You can also use V-USB as I have done in the past: Excel Example
If you want to compile the example, you need to be at Arduino level 1.01 … more recent versions of the Arduino GUI do not handle the old UsbKeyboard.h integration properly.

Ray

Thanks for all the responses. Since Excel is difficult to work with, what free or not to expensive program (for windows) will work? Would rather use the latest version of Arduino if possible.

Excel is not difficult to work with, and any programme like it is equally unlikely to suffice for the job which you seem to want to do, which is to use a hammer as screwdriver.

If you could be more specific about your as-yet rather unclear intent, there may be a solution. I suspect the first option is to simply move the keyboard to Arduino. I imagine a $5 USB host shield on a Mega can handle that, and then there is no problem about sending the data to Excel, or the like. Otherwise I guess it is entirely a PC problem - to the point where Arduino may be redundant.