excel vba to set digital outputs of arduino

I am an electronics engineer but completely new to programming and arduino.
I have an excel file which creates a simple .csv dynamically via vba.
The csv file contains data which I want to use to control up to 32 LEDs as simple on or off using Arduino mega 2560.
The csv data should only be called whenever a new file is saved. So speed is not critcal
The csv can be configured however is best required. Currently just 32 bit binary code for on (1) or off (0).
Can this be done?
Is there a better way to achieve this?

tamtec:
The csv data should only be called whenever a new file is saved. ...........
The csv can be configured however is best required.

I understand that PLXv2 can send data from Excel to Arduino, so that may be what you want.

I don't know how arduino would detect that a file has just been saved and therefore the data needs to be read. If you really need to do that, it may be easier to have the data read regularly but only acted on when a vital item has been changed.

Thanks. However PLXv2 appears to be more Arduino => Excel than Excel => Arduino.
I was thinking more like:
Excel to Save .csv then prompt Arduino
Arduino then reads .csv and configures outputs accordingly.

I have only used it one-way, but I understand it works two way. You might specifically check with NetDevil. It would probably be easier for Arduino to read from Excel when prompted, rather than open the saved file. Failing that, and assuming that you manually saved the file anyway, you might be able to send the file to Arduino using RealTerm instead.

Looking at this it seems you can access the serial port from VBA so just get excel to send the 32 bit number as ASCII with suitable guard bytes if needed and have the Arduino monitoring the serial port for received data (with guard bytes?) and set the LED’s.
You can set a VBA macro to send the data when the workbook is closed.

You could save the file in Excel then read it with Processing using loadStrings()...
https://processing.org/reference/loadStrings_.html

I've used VBA for a lot of things in the past but I don't think I'd want to write data with it.