Executing Command: exit status 1 ?!?

so apparently theres an issue with compiling (obviously) and of course the error message doesnt tell me whats ACTUALLY wrong, so I was left to guess. none of the other topics was relevant to my project. heres the error messages:

/home/builder/opt/arduino-builder/arduino-builder -compile -core-api-version 10611 -hardware /home/builder/opt/arduino-builder/hardware -hardware /home/builder/.arduino15/packages -tools /home/builder/opt/arduino-builder/tools -tools /home/builder/.arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /home/builder/opt/libraries/latest -logger humantags -fqbn arduino:avr:uno -build-cache /tmp -build-path /tmp/569198785/build -verbose -prefs runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arduinoOTA/1.3.0 -prefs runtime.tools.avrdude.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino17 -prefs runtime.tools.bossac.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/industruino/tools/bossac/1.7.0-industruino -prefs runtime.tools.arm-linux-gcc.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-linux-gcc/4.9.3 -prefs runtime.tools.dfu-util.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/dfu-util/0.9.0-arduino1 -prefs runtime.tools.linuxuploader.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/linuxuploader/1.5.1 -prefs runtime.tools.CMSIS.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS/4.5.0 -prefs runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/7-2017q4 -prefs runtime.tools.x86-linux-gcc.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/x86-linux-gcc/7.2.0 -prefs runtime.tools.mkspiffs.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/mkspiffs/2.5.0-3-20ed2b9 -prefs runtime.tools.xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc/2.5.0-3-20ed2b9 -prefs runtime.tools.openocd.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/openocd/0.10.0-arduino9 -prefs runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino5 -prefs runtime.tools.core2-32-poky-linux.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0 -prefs runtime.tools.flashpack.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/flashpack/2.0.0 -prefs runtime.tools.i586-poky-linux-uclibc.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0 -prefs runtime.tools.sketchUploader.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/sketchUploader/1.6.2+1.0 -prefs runtime.tools.CMSIS-Atmel.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS-Atmel/1.2.0 -prefs runtime.tools.nrf5x-cl-tools.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/nrf5x-cl-tools/9.3.1 -prefs runtime.tools.arc-elf32.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/arc-elf32/1.6.9+1.0.1 -prefs runtime.tools.arduino101load.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/arduino101load/2.0.1 -prefs runtime.tools.esptool.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/esptool/2.5.0-3-20ed2b9 -libraries /tmp/569198785/custom -libraries /tmp/569198785/pinned /tmp/569198785/sketch_dec29a

Sketch uses 1010 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

Programming with: Serial

Flashing with command:C:/Users/Kevins/.arduino-create/arduino/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino17/bin/avrdude.exe -CC:/Users/Kevins/.arduino-create/arduino/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:/Users/Kevins/AppData/Local/Temp/arduino-create-agent028638626/sketch_dec29a.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619

Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:/Users/Kevins/.arduino-create/arduino/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM3

Using Programmer : arduino

Overriding Baud Rate : 115200

avrdude: ser_open(): can't set com-state for "\\.\COM3"

avrdude done. Thank you.

and the code:

//Flowing LED Lights
/* Eight LEDs will light up one by one from left to right, and then go out one by one from right to left.
After that, the LEDs will light up one by one from right to left, and then go out one by one from left to right.
This process will repeat indefinitely.*/
//Email:support@sunfounder.com
//Website:www.sunfounder.com
//2015.5.7

/**************************************/
const int lowestPin = 2;//the lowest one attach to
const int highestPin = 9;//the highest one attach to
/**************************************/
void setup()
{
  //set pins 1 through 6 as output
  for(int thisPin = lowestPin;thisPin <= highestPin;thisPin++)
  {
    pinMode(thisPin,OUTPUT); //initialize thisPin as an output
  }
}
/****************************************/
void loop()
{
  //iterate over the pins
  //turn the led on from lowest to the highest
  {
    digitalWrite(thisPin,HIGH);//turn this led on
    delay(100);//wait for 100 microseconds
  }
  //fade from the highest to the lowest
  for(int thisPin = highestPin;thisPin>=lowestPin;thisPin--)
  {
    digitalWrite(thisPin,LOW);//turn this led off
  }
  for(int thisPin = highestPin;thisPin>=lowestPin;thisPin--)
  {
    digitalWrite(thisPin,HIGH);//turn this led on
  }
  {
    digitalWrite(thisPin,LOW);//turn this led off
  }
}

looks like you're trying program a board. is the usb cable plugged into com3?

I just tried to compile you code and it compiled fine. So what Arduino have you chosen and what version of the IDE are you using?

It's not a problem with compiling. If there is an error during compilation, the upload never starts. Here is the error message:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't set com-state for "\\.\COM3"

Unfortunately, I've never figured out the cause of this error.

Are you sure COM3 is your Arduino board? It should appear shortly after you connect your board to your computer with the USB cable and disappear shortly after you disconnect the cable.