Experience level and age?

If all the applicants were honest it would know.

In the event that we suspect a student of trying to cheat by pretending to be a beginner, it is not for us to police.
What we can do is force him to describe his project so that his teacher, who monitors this forum, discovers the cheater.
What happens next depends on the teacher.

Maybe.

I don't like cheats and nor do a lot of other people on here. In any case, most if not all the people providing help here also are not interested in doing other people's projects for them, well, not for free anyway. If a student comes here pretty much saying 'I don't have a clue do this for me' then they are not going to get much help, not because folk want to police that kind of thing, but mainly because they don't want to do the work for someone else.

In the French-speaking part (there are not only French people) help is free and only free.
Pay is not prohibited, but free help is our consensus.
The only condition for receiving help is that the requester makes an effort.
Paid offers are systematically returned to Gigs and Collaborations and more often do not receive a response.

We were talking about distinguishing beginners who receive full help from students who should be able to do their job.
We have two categories of students:

• Those who come to see us from the start of their project (December, January) to have explanations and in general we do not see them again, they are quickly able to work alone.
    We guide them so that they can find the solution on their own. We never give the solution but the basics so that they find the solution

• Those who do not work and who supply urgent help within 1 month of handing over their work. Often by trying to hide that they are a student.
    To allow their teacher to detect them, it is important to make them give all the details of their project. Ultimately, it's up to the teacher to decide what to do.

1 Like

If not mistaken, the old forum redirected someone after registration to the old version of your thread. Is a new user redirected to your new version after registration?

@pert
Can you comment about this? I think we were considering doing this, but I'm not sure if it happened.

Thanks,

During the user's first two posts, a message is shown on the post composer pane recommending them to read the "community guidelines":

Welcome to Arduino Forum — thanks for starting a new conversation!

• Does the title sound interesting if you read it out loud? Is it a good summary?
  • Who would be interested in this? Why does it matter? What kind of responses do you want?
  • Include commonly used words in your topic so others can find it. To group your topic with related topics, select a category (or tag).

For more, see our community guidelines. This panel will only appear for your first 2 posts.

The current "community guidelines" content, which is also accessible via the "FAQ" link in the forum header is currently the stock document is provided as part of the Discourse instance and not Arduino-specific in any way.

So the way to approach this would be to integrate in some way Perry's document with the "community guidelines" document.

2021: don't collect data you don't need to operate! And the birth date is for sure that kind of personal data which isn't needed.

By the way I don't think that "age" is a significant indicator about the experience level.

Same with "professional programmer", because if someone got paid to make a JavaScript years ago, doesn't necessarily make him a good Arduino Uno programmer.

1 Like

Are you planning to do that @pert ?

It could be a good idea BUT this message have to be translated in different language in international part.
Each "local" moderator can translate.

Probably only if I get the sense that all interested parties are prepared to make the effort to collaborate effectively. It's more ambitious of a project than I have the time or energy to drive solely on my own initiative at this time.

Which message?

You have my backing and support, the same as for the re-write. Doing this seems like a natural extension of the re-write. As with that I will help when I can but I do have a job which limits the time I can give to this.

I guess by translation the suggestion was the mods for each language translate into their own language. I guess it's more up to them to decide how well it fits into their sections.

This one.
Does it exist in German, Spanish, Italian, etc ........

Yes. It is translated into 47 different languages.

@PerryBebbington will be happy to learn that we even have the obscure English (UK) dialect :laughing:

Ay up yooth, tha's rate 'bout that, round 'ere thee speaks common like.

1 Like

UK English is the only decent English :slight_smile: See below excerpt of a letter to the Americans that circulates on the internet.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

nuh-uh.

And that'z my last word on the matter.

I think it's time we brought the colonies back under control!

2 Likes

I disagree. I think such an expectation is naive at best.

1. There is no way most of us are going to put their birthday on a public forum.

2. And any experience could be very much understated or overstated.

3. To restrict someone because they are "....checkboxes in profiles could restrict what is made available (student, college, hobbyist, professional coder, engineer)...." goes against the very idea of a forum.

The only way to know whom to trust is to read their posts and learn who is helpful or not.

i think understanding their background an illicit a little more patience in some cases to help them describe their problem better. in other cases, it may be a lost cause and not worth the effort

I think most forum users will immediately understand a post from a new younger poster. Most often they don't know how to communicate their issue. They probably need more TLC than others. They not only need help with their problem but also how to ask which often entails teaching them what to ask and why.

Personally I post on this forum because it makes me feel good to help others. There is no way to put me in a "category" that will tell how useful my posts are. So it's quite likely you might put me in the carmudgeon category and ignore me, which is fine with me.

BTY what category would you be in.......

1 Like

many websites (e.g. facebook) and forums have (do not require) birthdates.

student, professional have clear meanings.