Experiment with the MPU-6050

Hello,

I am new to electronics and recently purchased an MPU-6050 with its ARM and evoluation boards. My final purpose is to get real time gyroscope/accelerometer data sent over Bluetooth. I come to you asking to be kicked in the right direction:

• Is there an Arduino board for this?
  • What’s the preferred way to provide power supply for testing? What else do I need to get assuming I have nothing else but the boards and an USB cable?
  • If I want it to be very small and work on batteries, should I work on my own board or contact a specialized manufacturer?

This is a small project that could become very important to me, I need to bootstrap it alone in order to produce a proof of concept, anyone interested and knowledgeable in electronics is welcomed to contact me!

Thanks a lot!

1. the MPU-6050 uses I2C to talk with micro controllers. It should be possible to use every standard Arduino for that. Check the datasheets/docs of your.... MPU-6050-board though, it does have a lot of pins for just I2C. If the second chip on your sensorboard is a small microcontroller, it might use another way of talking with the main board. Do you have links with more info about both boards ?

2. Apparently the sensor can be configured to work with 3.3 and 5 volt devices. If... it uses I2C you would only need 2 pullup-resistors (5k-10Kohm) and wire.

3. The boards are quite big by themselves, you can buy smaller sensor boards as well. Arduinos come in different sizes and is open source, loads of clones exist and for some it's a sport to build the tiniest boards.

You can design your own board as well, but building it may... be quite hard. The tinier the components, the more skills are needed to solder them by hand.

Something you could do to test/improve skills is using an old PCB, heating it with a heatgun until the solder is liquid, wipe the components of the board and... placing 'm back using a solder iron. The PCB-probably won't function after that, but it will give you an idea how easy/hard it is to solder a board with tiny components using worthless stuff.

You can also design a board and contract a company to assemble it, but that can be quite expensive depending on the number of boards you need.

Using batteries shouldn't be a problem, but to have them last as long as possible you should read how to use the different power modes of your arduino.

Do you have links with more info about both boards ?

The MPU-6050 evaluation board specifications are here: http://www.invensense.com/mems/gyro/documents/AN-MPU-6000EVB.pdf

And the connected ARM board specification: http://invensense.com/mems/gyro/documents/eb_armat91_xxaxx_b%20rev%201.2.pdf

From what I gather it would be easier for me to just keep it simple and thus big, I just need to send the gathered data via Bluetooth and add an on/off switch and a battery. I will use what I have just learnt later to design or ask someone to design the smallest possible solution (it's to be attached to arbitrary items).

Thanks for the PCB trick, it's really interesting to learn that way ;).

Bear with me a little please, I want to understand what I intend to do:

1- On your ebay link, this is still an I2C interface? So it's supposed to be enough to get the data available on the MPU-6050 from a main board? Which could be anything including any Arduino with a I2C interface? 2- How is the MPU-6050 board powered? From the I2C interface? So it's the main board's responsibility to power the MPU? I am just guessing here, if this is true then can I buy a small battery and aliment the main board that I have now with it simply?

Sorry again for my lack of precision, I might not have used the right terms. Thanks for your time Simpson_Jr.