Ext power to stepper

Is there a way to get ext power to a 4 wire bipolar stepper without a shield? Directly? Not possible?

You can't supply power directly to a stepper motor (like you can to a DC motor) because a stepper motor needs to receive its power in "steps".

I use a Pololu A4988 stepper motor driver board to control my steppers. http://www.pololu.com/product/1182

That board can accept up to 35v from a separate power supply and has a small potentiometer to limit the current to whatever is suitable for the motor. Obviously the power supply for the motor is quite separate from the Arduino.

Before buying any stepper driver board make sure it can handle the current required by your motor.

Don't be tempted to use one of the L293/8 DC motor driver boards for a stepper motor - they are far more trouble to program and don't have the current limiting facility.

...R

Bstanko6: Is there a way to get ext power to a 4 wire bipolar stepper without a shield? Directly? Not possible?

The minimum to drive a bipolar stepper is two H-bridges or a chopper-drive stepper controller - both windings on a bipolar stepper are bipolar (hence the name), there is no V+ wire.

Appreciate it gentlemen, I gig urged as much. Figured that I would ask any way.