Extended ascii

I want use extended character ñ -> decimal 164 for this I replaced in the
MD_MAX72xx_font.cpp

// Standard DOS ASCII Terminal font - variable spacing
uint8_t _sysfont_var[] PROGMEM =

first table. Row 164 (extended ascii) by :

5, 124, 9, 5, 5, 120 // 164 - ñ (generated by Parola MD_MAX72xx Font Builder v1.xlsm), and in example Parola_Scrolling.ino, replace
strcpy(curMessage, "Hello! Enter new message?"); by
strcpy(curMessage, "niño"); and get in the display another symbols not a ñ (n-accent letter).

So that suggests the ñ on your keyboard is not ASCII 164

Sorry Grumpy_Mike, for my poor explanation I talk about send message to 48x8 led display with MD Parola library.

strcpy(curMessage, "niño");

It is likely that when you enter "niño" on your desktop PC, you do not get 164 in that character position, but instead get some sort of "unicode" 16-bit character that of course ends up not being displayed as you want on the Arduino. Try entering it as "ni\244o" instead (that's octal for 164. Which is the way that C wants you to enter numeric values for characters in strings. For historical reasons. Sigh.)

Thanks westfw, I wrote from keyboard ni\244o and get the same (ni\244o) displayed in the dot led-matrix.

(that's octal for 164. Which is the way that C wants you to enter numeric values for characters in strings. For historical reasons. Sigh.)

Well you can use hex according to this:-

Entering the characters from the serial monitor in the IDE definitely produces a character that is not ASCII. Printing from the serial input produces a long hex string that is definitely more that 8 bits.

I wrote from keyboard ni\244o and get the same (ni\244o) displayed in the dot led-matrix

Escape sequences are character constants in a string, they will not be translated from keyboard entry. It is the same as '\n' stands for newline but you actually type in an Enter. You need to define a string in the code like

str = "ni\244o";

and this will work.

An alternative is to write some code that will look at the input from the keyboard and convert all the 'strange' characters that arrive into the ascii equivalents if you want to be able to enter the character from the keyboard.

marco_c thanks for ur help, now working good.
Ex. niño and 10°C.

In library MD_MAX72xx_font.cpp first ascii table

// Standard DOS ASCII Terminal font - variable spacing
uint8_t _sysfont_var[] PROGMEM =

replaced rows:

0x05,0x00,0x0C,0x12,0x12,0x0C, // 176 - ° Symbol Degree
0x05,0x7C,0x09,0x05,0x05,0x78, // 241 - ñ n accent

Try this for degrees F.

Serial.print("\u2109");

For more information, here's a link:

Hmm, the post you responded to was from 2014.

marco_c:
Hmm, the post you responded to was from 2014.

So what?

Someone else might search for a solution to a similar problem and find DJ's solution helpful. The age of the thread is totally irrelevant.

True, except the problem had been solved ad DJs proposal, while correct, is not a solution to OPs question.