Extending the usb cable for arduino using usb-ethernet adapter?

Hi there!

So I am a high school student whose trying to build a underwater ROV using Arduino UNO. My question is that is it possible for me to connect the arduino board to my laptop by using ethernet cable and usb-ethernet adapter.

The setup is somthing like this:
Arduino UNO → usb cable provided → usb-ethernet adapter → 50m of ethernet cable → ethernet-usb adapter → laptop

Currently im still facing with an issue with my laptop where it wouldn’t recognize my usb-ethernet adapter but i’m just trying to get a head start on the this exact problem that i’ll probably face when i manage to solve the prior issue.

I do know of the existence of an ethernet shield. But for some complicated issues with the amount of space i have inside of my ROV i am trying to avoid to use it since it would take up to double the space if i were to add a ethernet shield.

Would really appreciate it if i can get some advice from any of you with similar experience here, cheers!

tl;dr : can i extend the usb cable from arduino uno with ethernet cable by using usb-ethernet adapter on both ends of the ethernet cable?

dr : can i extend the usb cable from arduino uno with ethernet cable by using usb-ethernet adapter on both ends of the ethernet cable?

No.

A USB to Ethernet cable is designed for a USB host to be connected to it. So using two would at least require a Host shield on the Arduino at the distant end.

You can fit a Pro Mini and an Ethernet module in a smaller space than the Uno alone. The W5500 modules are available in an especially small form factor that will plug into a board nicely:

But even if you get the more standard Ethernet module, it will still be smaller than Uno.

Another option is the MKR ZERO and MKR ETH Shield, which will also be smaller than the Uno.

Why a second Ethernet-USB converter? Doesn’t your laptop have an Ethernet connector? Then an Ethernet module can be used directly at the Arduino side.

My impression is they’re talking about these:

It’s just using an Ethernet cable to send the USB data over a long cable. I don’t think it’s actually Ethernet. I have one, but it didn’t work for me.

Such adapters often must be powered from the USB port. If not, an USB cable of the same (which???) length will work. Also your linked adapters are specified for USB-3 and VCR, hardly usable with Arduinos.

DrDiettrich:
Such adapters often must be powered from the USB port.

I used mine with a powered USB hub on the device end.

DrDiettrich:
Also your linked adapters are specified for USB-3 and VCR, hardly usable with Arduinos.

Almost certainly just a sloppy/scammy eBay seller selecting random things from the Item Specifics menus. You have to take these dirt cheap Chinese eBay listings with a teaspoon of salt.

Here's the same product that says USB 2.0 if you prefer that:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232516928846

pert:
My impression is they're talking about these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362126549158

It's just using an Ethernet cable to send the USB data over a long cable. I don't think it's actually Ethernet. I have one, but it didn't work for me.

Yes this is exactly how i wanted to connect the arduino to my laptop. The idea was to send USB data through the 50m Ethernet cable.

pert:
I used mine with a powered USB hub on the device end.

Did you manage to connect the Arduino board with it then? Thanks!

I didn't have any luck at all with those cheap ones, though it's possible I just got a bad one.

I also bought a more expensive "iogear" brand one, which has a power input on the female USB end. That one does work, but not with the longer Ethernet cables.

I ended up using an active USB cable, and that works fine. Even then I had to go through a couple of them before I found a reliable one.

The idea behind these USB extender or active USB cables is to allow you to use longer USB cables than would be possible with a standard passive cable. I'm using one to allow me to have a USB hub in a separate room from my computer. I have found them to be a bit of a pain and would not recommend using one if there is another option. I probably tried 5 different products before I found one that was reasonably reliable and even then the connection drops out occasionally.

USB has some rather tight timing requirements. It won't work on a long cable because it takes too long for the signal to get down the cable.

I have a 16-foot USB cable which basically has a hub at the far end. The hub talks to the PC and to the end device with the correct timing.

Also, are you powering the Arduino with this cable? Without an active power supply boosting the voltage, the far end will drop out of specification just on voltage.

I think you would do better to use Serial or RS232 for this length cable. Buy a USB-to-RS232 converter and an MAX232-based converter for the Arduino end. RS232 is good for distances up to hundreds of meters and there's no timing requirement so a really good cable in a perfect environment can be any length at all, even lightyears. (Of course there is no way any real piece of copper will be that good.)

If all you need is 50m distance, you'd probably be better off using an rs232 shield and usb/rs232 adapter (although, good luck finding a real rs232 adapter, and ... Actual ethernet is probably cheaper (but probably won't work.)

Huh. A couple of wireless adapters (esp8266) might also be a good solution. Or an Arduino with wireless capability. Don't some of the MKR boards support "over the air" uploads and Serial emulation?

Why do you think Ethernet won't work?

Why do you think WiFi will work? Wouldn't the water block the radio signal? Or are you talking about somehow using wired WiFi?

Crap. Somehow I missed the “underwater” part.

Actual Ethernet would probably need a more complex gadget on the arduino side than the average “usb/ethernet.”

Why not connect a W5x00 module to the Arduino and use the Ethernet cable for real Ethernet? That can be used for communication and, if the Ariadne bootloader is installed on the Uno, uploads too.

How about RS-485 as an alternative to RS-232? Those MAX485 modules are super cheap and they have cheap USB dongles for the computer side also. I've never used it, though I do have a couple of the modules in my parts stash to play around with one day.