External Battery

Hi, I am working on a box that changes color based on gyroscopic position.

I have all the wiring soldered on a pcb board, the code is loaded, and the whole thing works when connected to usb. I now want to connect my arduino nano to an external battery. I read that in order to do so, I have to connect the positive end of the battery to VIN pin, and the negative end to ground. However, my common anode LED already draws power from the VIN pin. If I connect the positive end of the power with the VIN pin, will the LED still draw the correct amount of power?

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

How are you powering the LEDs, do you already have a battery on Vin?
With the USB plugged in and running, what voltage do you measure on the Vin pin with respect to gnd?

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks… Tom… :slight_smile:

Each of the LEDs are hooked up to a transistor which go to output pins 9, 10, and 11. I don't have a battery on VIN yet, and I haven't ever used a common anode LED. I don't understand exactly how the LED is powered and why the LED works when connected to VIN. I'm following a tutorial and the creator didn't explain how to connect the battery.

I will post a picture of the circuit when I can, but I am not home yet. I'm a noob in working with hardware, and this is only my second project.

Here is the schematic:

and I forgot to mention that I was using a tutorial, which can be found here.

Hi,
Sorry circuit is sooo small cannot get any resolution…
dr.PNG
What the …
Can you post a clear picture of you project and what transistors did you use?

Tom… :slight_smile:

Oh, wow....

It can be made to work, but not the way he drew it.

That will never work.

Leds are backwards
drawn as common cathode
transistors are backwards
no base resistors
single resistor for up to 3 leds

Hi,
The diagram is from;

Unfortunately, I had them a bit above destructibles until I saw this.
But the Op hasn't read all the item, the project uses a Lipo connected to Vin.

Tom.... :slight_smile: