Extruder Monitoring System

Hello, I have an arduino uno R3. I am trying to create a system that monitors whether an extruder is on or off and then transmits that information to a computer where it can be put onto a network and viewed by anyone. I don't really understand how or if the arduino can create a viewable interface and how to get information to other computers from it. edited I think the main issue now is how to output information from the arduino to a web page. The arduino will be plugged into a computer that will be networked with the computer hosting the server or I will have the arduino be hooked in via the wireless onto the same network. Thanks

It sounds feasible but there are lots of different approaches you can take. To narrow the question down, I suggest you think about where this information ultimately needs to end up i.e. how it's going to be presented to a person. Are you going to send an email, send a text message, ask them to look at a web site, make it turn on a big flashing yellow light, or what?

Thanks for the reply. I would like it to be a web page but I don't understand how to get outputs from the controller. With c++ I can just output text and interact with the program but I don't see how that works in respect to the arduino. I don't know if the IT department is going to let me use up network space like that though so I may have to made it output the information to a monitor or have it be in the form of a flashing light.

If the end goal is to present the data on a web site I can see three main approaches.

If you host the web site on the same PC that the Arduino is connected to by USB then you can put code in your webapp to read status information from the Arduino's serial port, store it somewhere (perhaps in memory, or in a database, depending how long you want to keep it) and then include that data in web pages it serves out.

If the Arduino is remote then you could give it a network interfaces and have it HTTP Post the status data to the web server, which would store it locally as before and include it in web pages as required.

The third approach would be to give the Arduino a network interface and host the web site entirely on the Arduino. However, I don't recommend that because the Arduino is not a convenient place to develop a web site and the resulting web server is very limited.

Ahh ok that is very helpful. Can I output information from the board through the ethernet cable or do I need to have a shield to do it wirelessly? Do you have any links to how I can do this, "If the Arduino is remote then you could give it a network interfaces and have it HTTP Post the status data to the web server, which would store it locally as before and include it in web pages as required," because this is probably what I will end up trying to do.

You can either use an Ethernet adapter, or a WiFi adapter. Both are available as shields, and you can also get Arduino clones with the network interface integrated onto the main board.

Ok that makes sense. I think I have most of the project worked out. My maintenance guy is going to give me a digital signal from the machine in the form of 120 V terminal wires. How can I change that into a 5 V (does it need to be 5V?) system I put into the arduino? I plan on making a connector plate and using jumper wires to go into the digital input ports from the terminal wires. I will have a 9V power source inside the electrical cabinet and will connect the arduino via ethernet to a computer next to the line which will communicate with the network and then to the internet, using processing and firmata? Does this sound about right? To test it I want to make a circuit with a push button in it and just have the system output between a computer and the arduino using processing. Do I need a shield to do this? Thanks Edit I see that it does need to 5V plugged into it. Do I need to get a 120v to 5v diode?

Metathesis: Do I need to get a 120v to 5v diode?

Get somebody else to design that part of your system.

Yeah I found out i can just get a contact terminal wire and I just rigged up a terminal strip. Thanks for all your help I understand a lot more now and I'm moving forward.