Face expression recognition codes/software that work with arduino?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there were any codes or programs out there that used Arduino with a camera to identify human faces and face expressions. So it would be able to differentiate the face of someone smiling from someone frowning, etc. The more it can do, and the more accurate, the better.

Thank you for your time.

You need much more powerful hardware for this. An RPi or so comes to mind, should be a good starting point at least.

Hi,
You need some much faster and powerful hardware as @wvmarle has said.
Try looking at ESP32

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

I suspect that identifying a face in a picture is hard enough and it would require serious processing power to recognize expressions on faces.

...R

How good is facial recognition board and API by Espressif?

dennisamr:
How good is facial recognition board and API by Espressif?

What are you talking about? Do offer links to specific products.

The ESP32-CAM module costs about £8 and can do face recognition.

I doubt very much that it could recognise different expressions even with additional programming.

...R

Robin2:
The ESP32-CAM module costs about £8 and can do face recognition.

I doubt very much that it could recognise different expressions even with additional programming.

...R

Yes ESP32-CAM is the "un-official" board which is not supported by Espressif in terms of both hardware and software.

wvmarle:
What are you talking about? Do offer links to specific products.

This is the link of official board by Espressif called ESP EYE. They also have software support in their github page.

dennisamr:
Yes ESP32-CAM is the "un-official" board which is not supported by Espressif in terms of both hardware and software.

So?

It seems to me to be a bog standard ESP32 with a connector fitted to the board to make it easy to connect the little camera. To be honest I didn't know it was "unofficial". What can the "official" device do that the unofficial one cannot?

...R

Hmm ok Thanks.

I did some research and found that "official" board has following advantages:

• It has "official" software support from Espressif with their framework/library called "ESP-WHO"
  • It has more hardware capabilities like Microphone, Antenna and extra buttons
  • It is a development board so it has USB port with FTDI built in, so plug and play (or develop ;)) directly. The unofficial boards need extra programmer boards like FTDI

I bought the official board from here (ESP32 NodeMCU Face Recognition AI Dev Board ESP EYE Camera+Mic+WiFi+Bluetooth | eBay).

Works really well.