Fading sound

Imagine a sound signal connected to the wiper of a pot, the ends of which are connected to two speakers. By turning the pot, the sound will fade from one speaker to the other.

How can I do the same thing electronically, using an Arduino to control how much sound goes to each speaker? PWM will probably interfere with the sound quality.

Are there such things as digitally controlled audio amplifier chips? I couldn't find any on the Farnell (Element 14) site.

A digital pot would do it. That's what a "pan pot" on a mixer does, it allows you to pan an audio signal from left to right.

Are there such things as digitally controlled audio amplifier chips?

Yes, there are... But, I'm still looking...

P.S. I found a [u]Digital Volume Control[/u].

Thanks for the link, Doug. From there I found a 5V version, PGA2311, but at £6 each (~$10) from China, they are a bit expensive. At least I now know that they are available.

Henry_Best:
Thanks for the link, Doug.
From there I found a 5V version, PGA2311, but at £6 each (~$10) from China, they are a bit expensive.
At least I now know that they are available.

I use the PGA2311, and it’s got excellent sound quality, and very easy to control.

Ian.

You can do it all digitally on a faster processor...

ian332isport: I use the PGA2311, and it's got excellent sound quality, and very easy to control.

Ian.

Thanks for the recommendation, but as I need to fade between 3 (maybe 4) speakers, it's becoming expensive. I'll have to start saving my pennies. ::)

Henry_Best: Thanks for the recommendation, but as I need to fade between 3 (maybe 4) speakers, it's becoming expensive. I'll have to start saving my pennies. ::)

I don't know how they compare on price, but they also do the PGA4311 with 4 channels.

Ian.

ian332isport:
I don’t know how they compare on price, but they also do the PGA4311 with 4 channels.

Ian.

A bit cheaper. £8.60 for the PGA4311 and £1 for 2 SOIC to DIP converter boards. Looks like the way to go. Thanks.