Failing to burn bootloader to older nano with AVRISP-MKII

I have two older nanos to which I had burned an alternative bootloader for a different project. I want to burn the new standard bootloader on them.

My computer is an up-to-date windows 10 running version 1.8.5 of the IDE. I don’t have the old atmel studio and the new microchip studio does not support the AVRISP as far as I can tell.

So, I need the Arduino IDE to do the work for me. I have attached the AVRISP via USB and the nano via another USB, and the 8 pin cable to the programming header on the nano. The AVRISP gives me the green LED indicating that it seems happy.

When I try to use the “Burn Bootloader” tab, I get the following error: What is wrong and how do I fix it?

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is “C:\Users\I7-Quad-2018\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino14/etc/avrdude.conf”

Using Port : usb
Using Programmer : stk500v2
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device “usb” (0x03eb:0x2104)

avrdude done. Thank you.

Error while burning bootloader.
Exception in thread “AWT-EventQueue-0” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at java.awt.image.DataBufferInt.(DataBufferInt.java:75)
at java.awt.image.Raster.createPackedRaster(Raster.java:467)
at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(DirectColorModel.java:1032)
at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.(BufferedImage.java:333)
at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.XPStyle$SkinPainter.createImage(XPStyle.java:681)
at sun.swing.CachedPainter.paint0(CachedPainter.java:125)
at sun.swing.CachedPainter.paint(CachedPainter.java:98)
at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.XPStyle$Skin.paintSkinRaw(XPStyle.java:615)
at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.AnimationController.paintSkin(AnimationController.java:256)
at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.XPStyle$Skin.paintSkin(XPStyle.java:591)
at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsTabbedPaneUI.paintRotatedSkin(WindowsTabbedPaneUI.java:223)
at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsTabbedPaneUI.paintContentBorder(WindowsTabbedPaneUI.java:150)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTabbedPaneUI.paint(BasicTabbedPaneUI.java:791)
at javax.swing.plaf.ComponentUI.update(ComponentUI.java:161)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(JComponent.java:780)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1056)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(JComponent.java:889)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1065)
at javax.swing.JLayeredPane.paint(JLayeredPane.java:586)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(JComponent.java:5217)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubleBuffered(RepaintManager.java:1579)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1502)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1272)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1042)
at java.awt.GraphicsCallback$PaintCallback.run(GraphicsCallback.java:39)
at sun.awt.SunGraphicsCallback.runOneComponent(SunGraphicsCallback.java:79)
at sun.awt.SunGraphicsCallback.runComponents(SunGraphicsCallback.java:116)

Win 10/64 - IDE 1.8.13

+1 :frowning:

Exact same error message. "avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)"

The AVRISP MK II is shown in the device manager under the "Universal Serial Bus devices" but I don't know how to direct the IDE to this device.

hi Archodes01075,

You may refer to this Youtube tutorial video, where I successfully burned my Nano V3 clone with latest Bootloader using using C:\arduino-1.8.13\hardware\arduino\avr\bootloaders\optiboot\optiboot_atmega328.hex with the use of AVRISP MKII via Atmel Studio 7, after that under Arduino IDE, I can select “Processor: ATmega328P”, no longer need to select the "ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) anymore.

The new version Atmel Studio 7 ( Version 7.0.2397 ) able to support AVRISP MKII based on the seller website but I am unsure your AVRISP MKII device is compatible or not as there are many cloned version and we have to choose carefully by reading the technical info published from the seller website.

Hopes this helps.