Fails to start - 1.6.11 and 1.6.12

Had older Arduino programs; decided to up date. Loaded 1.6.12 after cleanup of other versions; however, it hangs up repeatedly with splash screen with bottom notation "checking boards". Loaded 1.6.11 (usual cleanup etc) it repeatedly hangs at Starting. Any suggestions???

George

Reload older version, open board manager and close it, I think is the fix.

The ide is choking on a bad package def that used to be accepted.

Alternately, blow away c:/ users / ( your username) / appdata (hidden folder) /Local / Arduino15

Thanks for the info; however, I can't delete arduino15. Don't know how!! Using windows 10 - many things don't seem to work. Any hints??

Thanks George

Versions 1.6.7 and 1.6.8 also fail to load past the Starting notation. Cleaned out Abdroid15 as best that I could; re- downloaded 1.6.11 - still hangs. Was doing well before deciding to update, every thing has come to a complete STOP!!

George

Open File Manager.
Click VIEW
Click OPTIONS
Click the VIEW TAB on the box that just opened.
Select and tick Show hidden files, folders, and drives
Click APPLY and YES to any additional boxes that might pop up.

Navigate to the users folder and open your folder in there.
You should see a folder called AppData go in there.

Depending on how your computer was set up and user levels you should see three folders

Local
LocalLow
Roaming

Delete any instances of a folder called "Arduino15" in each location.

Restart you computer and try the IDE again.

If that fails you may have to uninstall and do a very good clean up (see below)

Take a look at this post HERE

Follow any steps that pertain to your situation especially CCLEANER and WISE reg cleaner.

Don't forget to put your sketches folder somewhere safe just for the moment copy paste it elsewhere.

Only then should you install your chosen version of the IDE but do it as ADMINISTRATOR. and not that this is above a user with admin rights. Google "run as administrator" for instructions.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Thanks DrAzzy BallscrewBoB and all the others. Finally was able to delete Arduino15 in all my users. Don't know why commands worked!!!!
Again Thanks

George