Fake miniature jukebox record changer (stepper motor?)

Hi
My as of last week fiancé loves jukeboxes. Having just bought a ring :stuck_out_tongue: that isnt something i can afford right now and thought I would build her an imitation using some arduino gear I just got to learn on for a craft/art project I have planned.

I want to make a changer that emulates the style of the video. Probably to randomly change records with mp3 player album change or something.
I will likely make it all out of very cheap light materials like cds for records and cardstock/wire for the trays that rotate which ill paint metalic. So it isnt full size.
There are two vertical movements that need to happen one for the hook that rotates a record and the other for the spinning record tray. The record tray would be heaviest part if i make it by moving an entire stepper motor (to turn the record)up and down.

The shift in height will be about 100-120mm thanks to the miniature sizing.
I havnt played with stepper motors so I guess my question is of speed. I dont need the accuracy of printers or cnc. If I made a platform with threaded rod for movement whats the cheapest I can get away with for my two vertical shifts while keeping to the speed (of a record change cycle)of the jukebox in video.

A 28BYJ-48 should be enough for the spinning record as I dont care if its at real speed or not more the impression of movement that matters but for the rest I wasnt sure.

Any suggestions? Feel free to suggest better methods of doing any of the mechanics for that matter :stuck_out_tongue:

I presume you only want to give the appearance of a juke box with no attempt to select different records or to play records.

It looks like there are three movements. First the record is taken out of the stack. Second, it is lifted up (presumably to the stylus) and Third the record is rotated.

A servo would seem to be the easiest way to withdraw the record from the stack and return it.

I think if your system “lets go” of the record you will need a fairly sophisticated / precise machine to get it back in place again.

Raising the record and rotating it on the same access will require some concentric shafts which may be complicated.

I think I have seen other juke boxes where the record is placed on a platter at the bottom of the visible window. There would still need to be three movements but the rotation might be easier to arrange and it may be possible for the record to stay attached to the selector arm. I imagine having two servos - one which pulls the record out of the stack and the other rotates the first servo downwards to place the record on the platter.

…R