Fancy LED Grow Light Controller for Aglae Scrubber

Can I use an Arduino to offset the pulses of different channels in an LED controller? I don’t need help with code right now. I just want to know how hard it would be.

You can skip the why.

The reason that I ask is because several studies indicate that chlorophyll processes light better if it is flashed. They say that it can take in only so many photons before it gets saturated. Then the light is converted through a few steps to sugar. Only then, can it take another packet of light. This happens in a very short periods of time. These studies suggest that more total light can be processed if it is concentrated into flashes than if it is spread out into constant lighting.

Other studies suggest that a white pulse, for example, can get started into the process chain and a blue flash could follow without effecting the saturated potion of the chain. More total light can get processed that way as well.

Supposedly both schemes can be used together for an even better result.

Now all of this may not be true but this is what I would like to try.

I assume that you can dim a particular LED channel by shortening the length of each pulse. If that’s true, I would like to know if I can fire the channel pulses sequentially instead of all at once. Maybe that is the way it would normally work anyway.
Optimally, I would like to fire the first channel at the beginning of a cycle, then pick the point that the second pulse would be fired at…say at the 30% mark. The third pulse might start at the 50% mark and a fourth at the 63% mark and so on, if there were more channels.

Additionally, I would like to be able to control the length of the pulse of each channel. This might lead to some pulses over lapping in time but if this can’t happen then that would be OK.

Is that possible to do without getting really fancy?

Hi,
You can certainly do that kind of timing with Arduino.

You will need some power devices to handle the LED current and voltage requirements; most likely a 12VDC supply, and Power FETs as "Low-Side Switches". Do you understand that part?

Some Arduino Power stuff HERE:

Thanks for responding.

Do you understand that part?

Not yet. I have been studying up on that part for the last few days, trying to formulate a plan.