Fatal Error when trying to load to Arduino Uno.

Trying to upload "Blink" to Arduino UNO from the Arduino Editor.

Running Windows 10

Arduino Software and drivers installed.

Watched Jeremy Blum's introductions to Arduino. His sample sketch shows the same errors as below.

UNO is recognized by computer on COM4

Power LED on.

I have not loaded anything to the UNO, just plugged in the USB and saw that the UNO was recognized by the software.

Onboard LED slowly blinks @ about 1 second interval, so it looks like "blink" is already running without my intervention.

Select "verify" on the "Blink" Example, without any changes and get a red line, black box with this error message:

./opt/arduino-builder/arduino-builder -compile -core-api-version 10611 -hardware opt/arduino-builder/hardware -hardware ./opt/cores -tools opt/arduino-builder/tools -tools ./opt/tools -built-in-libraries opt/libraries/latest -logger humantags -fqbn arduino:avr:uno -build-cache /tmp -build-path /tmp/412167922/build -verbose -prefs runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=./opt/tools/avr-gcc/5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2 -prefs runtime.tools.avrdude.path=./opt/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino14 -prefs runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=./opt/tools/arduinoOTA/1.2.1 -libraries /tmp/412167922/custom -libraries /tmp/412167922/pinned /tmp/412167922/Blink Linking everything together... lto1: fatal error: bytecode stream generated with LTO version 3.0 instead of the expected 4.1 compilation terminated. lto-wrapper: fatal error: ./opt/tools/avr-gcc/5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2/bin/avr-gcc returned 1 exit status compilation terminated. /home/ubuntu/opt/tools/avr-gcc/5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/5.4.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld: error: lto-wrapper failed collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status exit status 1

ALL Built In Examples show similar errors when I select "Verify", regardless of whether the UNO is attached or not. Same error appears when attempting to send code to UNO.

Any Ideas of what has gone wrong? I don't think it is a code issue, since these are examples that are pre-loaded, I have not even started to write code, taking this step by tiny step.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=576691.0

Excellent, I honestly tried to search before I posted the question and never came up with anything like what you sent to me. Probably did not configure the search term properly. Thank you for your help!

Mlynch001: Excellent, I honestly tried to search before I posted the question and never came up with anything like what you sent to me. Probably did not configure the search term properly. Thank you for your help!

It was literally the top topic on the page you posted on when you posted.

I see it now. Appreciate your patience, the title of that post did not strike me as relevant to my issue. I am making some progress now. Hopefully I will become more adept at this whole process. Painfully new to this stuff.

Best bet, forget the online editor and just download the real IDE. It's free. It's here. It works.

Yes, Already downloaded/installed IDE. It works and I am at least running and learning. Thanks Again.

Hello, please follow topic Issue 2018-10-30: lto-wrapper error prevent compilations for further information and updates about this.

Thank you.