Feasibility of a kids toy idea

Hi,

I'm looking at starting a project to learn Arduino.

What I want to do is to build on to a kids toy similar to this and make it more interactive:

My idea was to use a battery-powered wireless Arduino device to run an NFC reader in the bottom of the toy. Each block would have a different NFC chip either stuck to it or embedded.

When a block was placed into the toy the Arduino would read the block and send a signal to another Arduino that is hooked up to some LED strips. The LED strips would change colour depending on what block was placed into the toy.

Is this possible with Arduino? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

In the end, it'll probably be more of a learning project that a working toy.

Thanks

An Arduino can work with an NFC reader and with wireless. Whether an NFC reader could reliably detect the bricks that are pushed into the box is another matter, beyond the scope of this Forum. For example, wouldn't the first brick prevent the second brick from being detected?

As a separate matter I much prefer the simplicity of the simple wooden toy.

...R

As mentioned, RFID readers can only read one device at a time. If two are in range, it will simply not work.

I did a puzzle box similar to this using A3144 Hall-Effect switches on a 4X4 grid layout. Each puzzle piece has a small magnet embedded in them. To solve the puzzle, the game pieces had to match a predetermined pattern. Each piece could have a N, or S (magnetic) or no magnet (just a weight so that the player couldn't figure out which were dummies).

If I do this project again, I would put the 3144's on a PCB, two for each grid square (the orientation determines if they respond to the N or the S side of a magnet), then make the pattern variable instead of fixed as the original project was since I only had ten of the switches.

SteveMann:
Each piece could have a N, or S (magnetic) or no magnet (just a weight so that the player couldn't figure out which were dummies).

It would still be perfectly easy to figure out which were magnets and which were not. :roll_eyes:

There are commercial ones that just use a microswitch in the hole to detect the object .
See the orange bit in this video