Feasibility of possible upcoming project?

Hello,

I am brainstorming for an upcoming project for my HS freshman PLTW Intro to Engineering final project. Basically, I must design some sort of device with at least one moving component to it using Autodesk Inventor (and later be 3d printed). That is the simple part that for the most part I have completed.

However, I'd love to take this project to another level and incorporate Arduino into it. I am designing a robot modeled after Bender (from Futurama), and I would like to add sort of a base to him with 3 wheels so that he could scoot his way around. I would use a small DC motor that came with my Arduino starter kit to accelerate the robot, and a servo motor to move the front wheel for steering.

I would control this using the Blynk software on my phone that communicates to a ESP8266, that communicates to an Arduino Pro Micro via rx/tx.

The concern I have with this project for the most part is powering it. Overall, the finished design cannot breach 6x6x6". I do not know what batteries I should use to power this- I do not want to fry my boards, but at the same time I do not want to underpower the motors. I do have H bridges available, so perhaps I could power the DC motor separately? Let me know what you guys think, as all of you are much more experienced than I.

Edit: If I left anything important out let me know, thanks.

4xAA cells should power the motor and servo for short runs. Power the Arduino separately to avoid electrical interference or damage from the motors.

Selecting the proper size of battery depends on the average and maximum current draw of the motor and servo, and the length of time you want the robot to run. You will need to determine those parameters.

jremington:
4xAA cells should power the motor and servo for short runs. Power the Arduino separately to avoid electrical interference or damage from the motors.

Selecting the proper size of battery depends on the average and maximum current draw of the motor and servo, and the length of time you want the robot to run. You will need to determine those parameters.

The length of time really would just be a five minute presentation at most (as a bare minimum.)

The Pro Micro is 5V, but has a 12V regulator, so I think I am going to put the pro micro, the ESP8266, and a 9V battery in the shell of the body of the robot, and then a separate 4AA pack on the base of the whole thing.

In addition, how important of a variable is mass would you reckon?

Thank you for the response.

how important of a variable is mass would you reckon?

For a robot that small, not very. But the drive motor may need gearing down. Tutorials here, if you want to do the calculations.

Update: The Blynk Board on sparkfun is on backorder which really sucks.. I'm gonna have to buy the whole starter kit.

It may be available on other websites but the only reason why I'm doing this in the first place is I have a gift certificate for sparkfun